Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many had success with bow/Turkey? >

How many had success with bow/Turkey?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many had success with bow/Turkey?

Old 03-03-2004, 05:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default How many had success with bow/Turkey?

I will be turkey hunting this spring with my bow and was wondering how many of you have harvested turkeys with bow and what kind of set up you used.I shoot a Hoyt Razer-tech 70lb 31",ICS 340's,and only have fixed blades.Should I lessen the poundage,and get large expandable broadheads?Also I have never harvested a turkey with bow but have been closeIs a body shot okay,and how about cleaning turkeys what would be the best way?I know this is alot of questions,but I am a rookie when it comes to bowhunting turkeys,and cleaning themThank's for any replies.Bill D>
Old 03-03-2004, 06:39 AM

Default RE: How many had success with bow/Turkey?

I have talked to a few people that went with a bow but nobody had any luck.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:58 AM

I have been fortunate enought to harvest 2 turkeys with my bow, 1 in the spring and 1 in the fall. Your gear is fine .. anything that you would shoot at deer will work. Turning down the poundage a bit may be a good idea, as I have found I tend to hold back at full draw a bit longer with turkeys than I would deer. The main thing I would recommend is practicing with your bow .. a turkey is a small target. A "body shot" will work .. but depending where on the body matters a lot. On broadside shots shoot slightly below the shoulder joint and slightly towards the tail, this spot anchors them well. It has been my experience that you'll get a lot of straight on shots, because unless you are in a tent/blind they'll probably notice you at full draw and look straight at you. Put the pin slightly below where the neck attaches to the body and center the shot .. and he won't be going anywhere.

If you have the luxury of setting up a spot, I find building a blind before the season helps a lot, and if you can set the blind in terrain where you'll be shooting down, all the better .. the don't run to far when they are anchored to the ground with an arrow.

As far as cleaning the bird, a quick slice from the vent (anus) to the breast bone will allow you to clean out the innards easy enough and cool the bird.. later you can decide to pluck or skin when preparing the bird for table.

Good luck! It isn't easy .. it takes practice to learn when you can get away with drawing your bow and when you can't. The good thing is if you do get busted there wasn't the blast of a shotgun, so I've found the birds can sometimes be worked from a different direction within a few hours.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:42 AM

it seems like every fall i get an encounter with a least one flock of turkey. i have gotten some shots off but no luck so far. The first year, one hen drifted to a 25 yard tree i marked but then my arrow hit a branch along the way. The next year, i lowered my face mask a bit to earlier and a hen picked me out of a tree about 22 ft up. The next year, last day of archery season, a flock comes in but won't cross this little trail so i fling an arrow at like 22 yards and it lands at the feet of one. This year i was caught drawing my bow back on the lead hen[:@]. so far nothing but troubles but i know sooner or later i am going to get a turkey with my bow! good luck, i would try rocket hammerheads for turkey. i heard they work great
Old 03-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Spike

I've got Toms two out of the last three years with a bow. Fact is, if your going to hunt them with your bow, make sure you have a good sense of humor or a great set up with a good blind. I just began using a blind last year on them and it helps a bunch but I just like it better when I'm not in a blind. Just a feel thing I guess.

The first I took from the ground with no blind. The set up and actions of the bird (or birds) have to work together for this to work. I say have a good sense of humor because without a blind, you will call in ten birds to get one shot. They realisticaly have a 360 degree view so you are never out of sight unless they walk behind something SOLID. I try to wait until a Tom fans and turns showing off. When the fan is between you and the bird, this is the time to draw. You have to watch other birds around too when trying to draw on the bird you're trying to stick. I've been busted by hens and other toms (not the bird I was trying to shoot) more times than I can count.

One other thing. Watch the spurs!!!!! I made the mistake of putting my foot on a tom that I'd stuck from the side. He got a spur into my pant leg and opened that sucker up! I was lucky it was loose and didn't take flesh with it.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lets say-I have SHOTS at Turkeys every spring (8 years now) but don't alway bring him home. It is great fun but as a outdoor writer told me once-if you only hunt Turkeys with a bow, you must not like eating them.
We have tried it all BUT the BEST for us is from a blind. We use our Deer set up & 3 blade Rocky Mountain Broadheads, decoys.
If you get them in-it will be lots of fun-just make sure you can shoot from INSIDE your blind as if you have to stick the tip out-they will BE GONE!!!!
good luck.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:26 PM

what kind of broad heads should you use for turkeys? Do you just use regular and add that little attachement or is there a special broadhead?
Old 03-03-2004, 02:04 PM

I harvested my first tom with a bow last spring. I used a Shockwave broadhead, it worked well. In order to be consistently successful with a bow you'll probably want to use an enclosed, portable blind.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:30 PM

A friend of mine took out some of his friends last year and 8 of them ended up with a turkey; all with a bow.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Spike

I normally use 100 gr. Muzzy 3 blade for everything. I just changed to a 75gr. and put an Adder behind it for smack power in an effort to keep the bird close. Last years didn't move more than a yard after takin one up the south shute, so to speak!

Quick Reply: How many had success with bow/Turkey?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.