Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 what is your funniest thing that happened in the woods? >

what is your funniest thing that happened in the woods?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what is your funniest thing that happened in the woods?

Old 03-03-2004, 04:44 PM

Default RE: what is your funniest thing that happened in the woods?

I was sitting in my tree stand and had been watching deer the whole morning. I had just made a decision to take this nice doe that was broadside to me. My adrenalin started pumping and I was getting ready for the shot. All of the sudden my hunting buddy sent a page over 2-way radio and right into my earpiece. I must have jumped about 6" and I think my heart skipped a beat or 2. Needless to say, I didn't get the doe that day.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

While quail hunting with my dad in an area we thought wasn't near populated area, we heard some odd noise coming from an area so we checked it out. Caught a couple having sex, oops
Old 03-03-2004, 06:17 PM

one of my grandpas friend was deer hunting one day and had to take a poo. So he pulled his carharts down and pooed. When he pulled them back up and put the hood on.... I think you know what happend.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

Me & my buddy was bow hunting, he took an afternoon stand on a creek bank, the creek bed was about 6 or 8 feet below. So he was there and along comes a bobcat down in the dry creek bed. So my buddy decides a bobcat is better than nothing, and let off a shot....he hit the cat but not sure exactly where, but the cat went straight up in the air! Came down squalling and turning cart wheels etc. All of this was happening in fast motion! All of a sudden the cat made a lunge up the bank right at my buddy! This all had happened in the blink of an eye and he had not even thought about reloading!! But the cat didn't make it to the top of the bank, and took off down the creek.. My buddy was pretty excited!! to say the least, he thought he was going hand to hand with this cat!
Old 03-03-2004, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first year of bowhunting, I was 14 years old. My dad set me on this old wood treestand overlooking a feild one evening. I was sitting there and about a quarter till 5, three does began slipping into the field to feed. They were out of range, but appeared to be heading in my direction. I sat with my bow across my lap nervously waiting on the deer. All of a sudden a squirrel bailed from its limb right onto my lap! It startled me so bad that I flailed my arms, which where holding my bow, which in turn went flying to the ground below. The squirrel made a hell of commotion for a while and alerted the does. The does went back to feeding and eventually walked right past my old Golden Eagle bow lying on the ground. I tossed those undies in the trash when I got home.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

Here's an elk story for you. Not a hunting story but funny to see, I've never seen anything funnier.

I was backpacking the summer of '88 in the Idaho Selway wilderness, sitting on a hillside watching a herd of 9 cows and 7 calves. They were feeding and bedding in a meadow next to a nice "swimming hole" type pool on stream. Well, eventually a couple calves started playing around, jumping off the bank into the pool. As this went on, more and more elk began watching these two. Pretty soon the entire herd was on its feet forming a line, then when their "turn" came, they'd take about a 30 yard run at it, sail into the air on the bank, and belly flop into the pool. That elk would come bucking out of the water, shake itself off, and trot back to the rear of the line for its next turn. This performance went on for nearly an hour.

The whole show was exactly like what you'll see described for an otter slide.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:05 PM
Typical Buck

In the county that I live in, there is a small college that is full of tree-huggers and anti-hunters. Six years ago, they decided to rain on our parade. My dad and I were bowhunting a public piece of land and they thought they'd do their best to run off the deer by running through the woods banging on pots and pans and yelling out, calling us "murderers and killlers". When the first one came upon me, I whistled and when he looked up at me, I drew my bow back and aimed it at him. I didn't even have an arrow knocked, but he didn't know it.lol While he on his knees begging for his life, I told him that what he was doing was illegal and it would be in his best interest to leave before things got ugly. As they were gathering up to leave, they happend to push a decent 8-pointer by me and I stuck him.lol The next week, I decided to "thank" them in the local newspaper along with a pic of me and the deer.[8D]
Old 03-04-2004, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Sometime in the 80s I was hunting a new area in Kansas. Property belonged to a good friend and had a county road through open range. I was headed out about 1:00 pm to take my stand. About half way through the ranch I saw an extremely nice 10 point standing in some railed cedars about 50 yards off the road. I stopped and admired this brute for 5 or 10 minutes. This buck is frooze not moving a muscle. While I sat there I'm thinking my buddy the game warden had set up a dummy deer. I decided to get out of the truck and walk out to see if could find the game warden (yes the warden was a fishing buddy). I walk around behind my truck and the deer hasn't moved. I walked through the bar ditch and still no movement or sign of my GW buddy. I get within 15 yards of the buck and all of the sudden he snorts, bolts and almost runs over me. Needless to say scared the poo out of me. I stood there amazed and pretty shaken. Never saw that bruiser again.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:33 PM

got caught taking a leak by the buck I was hunting. Got out of stand 5 min.'s too soon. I turned around and he was there lookin at me stright -on. 15 yards away. he leaped away before I could had a chance to move.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:08 AM

Well here goes. This is a case of had to be there, but it was funny at the time.

My buddy and I were getting dressed one morning at the truck before heading in. Now as usual I was dressed and waiting on my buddy to finish (this used to be the case, but now he has picked up his pace some) Well as I'm waiting, I pull out this spandex head and face mask (Spandoflage it was called) that I had just bought that week and was using for the first time. I jokingly put it on and said "this thing is cool they'll never see me". Just as I get the words out a BIG seagull decides I must look like a post or a small tree or something and lands right on my head. .(we used to hunt by the beach and literally get dressed right next to the water) My buddy turns to me and starts cracking up, I mean practically falling down laughing. I on the other hand am in the pitch black with "something" I'm not sure what at this point on my head. I start jumping around and smacking my head and now the bird is flapping like crazy to take off. Well he's hung up for a few moments in the netting on my head and it takes me what seems like minutes but was probably only like 5 seconds to get him off. He eventually flies off and the two us about died laughing. I looked at my buddy and said "looks like this thing works pretty well"

I know you probably had to be there but damn was that funny at the time

Quick Reply: what is your funniest thing that happened in the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.