Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Treestand backaches...let's pool our ideas. >

Treestand backaches...let's pool our ideas.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand backaches...let's pool our ideas.

Old 02-27-2004, 12:09 PM

Default RE: Treestand backaches...let's pool our ideas.

I had back problems ( for years) and surgery for it several years ago. I see you are doing all the things you should do to strenghten your back. That's great.

I use a SUMMIT VIPER XLS that came with a strap on seat and back pad. It works great for me.
If I recall Big Buck Branagan (sp) had his wife make up a seat for him because of a bad back. He may be a resource for you.
My back is far from perfect but Im day to day pain free. Just some nerve problems from the damage that effect my legs.
I can spend all day, sunrise to sunset in my stand and it's more than likely that my butt will get sore before my back does with my Viper
Old 03-01-2004, 05:04 PM

I am 48 and have the same problem. I have found 2 things that help. When I hunt in a tree I only hunt the first or last 2 hours of prime time. All day hunts are sadly gone forever. I can tolerate 2 hours of pain for a chance of being a hero. Also if you hunt the ground you can move around from time to time to loosen up more so than in a tree. I have also found that hunting the ground is not so bad. I can judge distance better on the ground than in a tree. Probably because I rarely practice from a tree. Anyway, hope this helps.
PS If you find a cure please let me know.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have arthritis in my lower back and some says I don't hurt (much) other days...anywho...I bought a Summit Cobra and now I can sit for 6-8 hours. It is very light for the trip in, and it is very comfortable. From what I hear Summit makes the most comfortable stand around.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:20 PM

Everyone please be careful when following the "strong abs" help ease back pain theories.

Ab strength is a definate bonus but you have to understand that you have 4 muscle groups all working as a team to keep your lower spine mechanically functional.

Those muscle groups are the abs, low back, quads, and hamstrings. Any weakness or excess strength in that chain and you can have adverse effects. It is very important to remember that developing one group and neglecting another will result in imbalance.

The quads recipricate with the low back and the hams with the abs..........so strong abs is just a piece of the puzzle.

The lumbar spine curves forwards in a normal lordosis. Strong abs that overpower the other groups will result in a decrease in this lordosis=not good. In the opposite spectrum, strong lumbar muscles alone will cause an increased lordosis=not good.

The best advice.........just like any other topic is a good overall program that focuses on total body fitness (the extra lbs in a belly stress a low back all day long).

Most relief obtained from low back excersises in the acute stage is from just re-establishing a proper range of motion. Long term relief is usually not the result of one magic potion (crunches, stretching, weight loss...etc) it is more often a combo of many of them.

Most importantly is getting a proper diagnosis as to what actually is wrong with you. You will be much better off once you are confident that you know what the problem is and therefore better able to directly address it.

Look up the McKenzie excersises for low back pain and try them out. They are simple, low impact and not time consuming.

They are worth a try that's for sure.

On the stand topic...........a foot rail is a nice option for stand comfort. Helps take stress off lower body.

I have a Summit Goliath and it is as comfortable as I can imagine a stand being. They have the Revolution which looks even more comfy. Check it out.

Best of Luck
Old 03-02-2004, 07:02 AM

I think what would be perfect is if you could make a pillow case out of a quiet, camo, waterproof cloth, and put a pillow in it and strap it to the tree behind you.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you can still haul a treestand into the woods and get it up a tree, your back ain't all that bad. I keep my decrepit self on the ground so I can move around and keep my back from stiffening up.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:04 AM

I do not have a back problem. However, sitting in most treestands, especially "hang-stands," for an extended period will fatigue even the best back. Most stands will never win an award for ergonomic design.

Most stand seats and/or platforms, especially the hanging type:

ï€* Are too narrow in depth to allow positioning your body so that you can find the natural curvature of your spine.
ï€* Are too shallow to allow using a lumbar support.
ï€* Are too low to allow you to correctly distribute your weight to your butt, and stresses your back muscles.
ï€* Have shallow (small) platforms that play a role in incorrect positioning and (body) weight distribution.

In addition, the lean of the tree usually dictates the lean of your torso.

The most comfortable stand I ever used was my "Grizzly" ladder stand. It had plenty of platform area, I could lean the stand to obtain a comfortable position, and I used a padded rifle support that I could rest my arms on or lean forward to rest my back. It (rifle support) was also very useful for laying a loaded bow on. Someone also liked the stand; it was stolen.

Now, when I plan to sit for a prolonged period, I use my butt-pack as a lumbar support, I have two foam-rubber pads glued together to sit on, and I wear a back-support belt.

http://www2.northerntool.com/category/97632/

For real comfort, I use my ground blinds and sit in a padded folding chair.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:26 AM

903, I couldn't agree more, and yes, I found my crippled 33-yr. old butt in a ground blind as well, sitting in a full sized chair. I suppose because I grew up hunting in treestands, I almost felt like I was cheating sitting in a comfortable chair! When visiting a buddy last year I sat for the first time in his ladder stand, I was VERY surprised how spacious and comfy it was.

I suppose my next question is a follow-up to my last statement to current ladder stand users. Have you ever felt you have spooked deer as a result of the stand itself? I don't know why, but I guess I always thought they were geared more towards the rifle hunter for shooting at longer distances, so the ladder made little difference. Right? Wrong?

903, in my first post I kinda touched on a few problems you mentioned. What do ya think about building almost a very small ramp looking contraption, with the pointed end aimed at the sky? Possibly cutting some half moons with a jig so it hugs the tree a little, then screwing on a strap? I'm just thinking that having a solid/flat back support from my sacrum to my upper back would be flat out heavenly!

A lot of very good ideas fellas, keep them coming! Please know how much I appreciate the time spent expressing your ideas,etc., it means alot.

Chad
Old 03-02-2004, 09:35 AM

I had back surgery in May of 03 and I used the TREE LOUNGE climber alot this year. Most comfortable stand Ive ever used. If comfort is your main concern I would check these types of stands.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:04 PM

rookelkhunter:

In addition to "hang stands," I use commercial (metal) ladder stands and fabricated wood stands that have 2 x 4 supports with 2 x 4 steps. I cannot say that I have ever detected that a ladder stand spooked a deer. In fact, two seasons past, as I approached one of my commercial ladder stands, I observed that there was a doe lying on the ground beneath my stand, between the ladder section and the tree.

I do put up my commercial ladder stands about two months before deer season. I also break up the stand by tying strips of rubberized camo net/leaves on stand.

If I am not in a ground-blind -dependent upon where I know the deer will move, my next preference is a ladder stand. However, many bowhunters do not have access to areas where ladders stands can be used and left, and/or are not convenient to use.

Quick Reply: Treestand backaches...let's pool our ideas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.