Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How early is too early >

How early is too early

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How early is too early

Old 02-26-2004, 07:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How early is too early

I will add one other thing. One morning before it got light out during the rut, I talked myself out of a spot. I couldn't find climbing trees that offered a long shot into a field. A lot of the tracks I saw on the way up the hill in the evening pointed to the crest but I picked more rather then less shooting range. 1st Mistake. From the beginning once in the tree, the deer were trickling in to the woods all over about 1 every 10-15 mins. At about 7:30am, a herd of 20 came up the hill and into the woods where I talked myself out of hunting that morning. I knew I wanted to be there and thought about moving mid hunt but didn't. 2nd big mistake. At 8 am, two huge bucks came up the same path and separated as they went into the woods. I would have had a shot at either one had I hunted my plan that morning or moved.

The moral of the story is that if your in the rut and wake up late go on and hunt. If you see a bunch of deer go by out of bow range, go ahead and move. The 10 -15mins it takes you to move can be well worth it. The bucks are very hard to grunt once they get that wif of the doe's
Old 02-27-2004, 08:46 AM

Bob! for myself I tend to head into the bush about 30 minutes before sunset ,I like to be in stand and comfortable before light .This work's well for me .

nubo
Nubo, Sorry man I have to. If you get into stand 30 min before sunset you should be uncomfortable by first light. If I sit more that 3 or 4 hours my but starts to hurt. I can't imagine sitting all night. I'd probably scare all the deer off with my snoreing. How do you keep warm. lol.

I try to get there so I'll be settled about first light so I head to my stand about 30 min prior to sunrise. I think I know what Nubo is saying.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like to get in my stand any earlier than I have to. I liked being settled and ready to go with only 10-15 minutes before I can see to shoot. For those worried about your flashlight, put a red lense on it and it won't scare any deer. I've walked just about right up to them with a red lensed light.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:06 AM

I like to be settled in as it starts getting grey.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:32 PM

i never use a flashlight and i try to get in my stand at least a good 30-45 mins before daylight. It could be the reason you get a deer. Like this year, on Nov. 10, a nice cold front hit central pa making it 20 degrees in the morning. I head to my stand at least 1-1.5 hr before first light. Its about a 20-25 minute walk to the top of this mountain. I climb up and start to get settled in about 30 mins before first light. Then i hear it. Deer walking directly behind my stand about 30 yards. I couldn't tell what it was at first but about 5 mins later i figured it out. It was a pair of does slipping through the woods before first light. As they walked over this little crest, a little buck started chasing them back right behind my stand again. But the trail they layed had set the trap for my buck. At 7am, here comes my 9 point with his head to the ground, right over the crest and right to my shooting lane at 28 yards. A nice hit and he is soon to be hanging on the wall. If i had been walking in at the time those does were near my stand, i would have scared them away and i know i won't get my buck. So get in early, sometimes as early as possible without a light and you will be set!
Old 02-28-2004, 07:31 PM

i got a tree house with a heater. sometimes i sleep in it so i am always ready
rad
Old 02-29-2004, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Personal opinion seems to be like most of the guys in here. I like to be in my stand and set up about 20 - 30 mins before legal shooting time. If you think you are spooking deer with your light, why not try the green led lights out on the market. They are not supposed to be visible to animals and throw a good bit of light. Or could it be that you are more noisier when you go in in the dark, just walking rather than sneaking in as you do when its lighter.
Another option is to hunt this area in the evening. I have two areas where I rarely ever see deer in the AM, but it is a great area for evening hunts. I took several buck from these 2 areas just before quitting time.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

half hour before sunrise, so the woods settles down around you
Old 03-01-2004, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try to get settled in by first light most of the time but I haven't really seen a difference. I hunted some pulbic ground this year that was a particularly long walk and we never made it in by first light. It didn't seem to matter. Most of the deer I see in the morning don't come buy before 7:30 and more often between 8 and 9.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:20 PM

Personally i head into my stand when its pitch dark..Animals maybe able to hear you as you walk by but the cannot see you and will not spook as easy. I like to be in there at least 1/2 hour before sunrise

Quick Reply: How early is too early

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.