Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you shoot with both eyes open? >

Do you shoot with both eyes open?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you shoot with both eyes open?

Old 02-22-2004, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you shoot with both eyes open?

I've always shot with both eyes open with my bow, rifle, shotgun and pistols.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot both eyes open too. For those of you that say you can't do it, I know how you feel. It took me a while before I could clearly see with both eyes open. I practiced at 10' away for a long time until I got it down. In hindsight, it was the best move I've made. I shoot better and can see everything that is going on all around, all the time.
One thing to keep in mind is that if you do shoot both eyes open, your dominant eye needs to be behind the peep or it will try and take over, and you'll have alot of trouble.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:34 AM

I just started shooting with both eyes open this year and what a difference it has made for me. I am able to keep focus on the target instead of trying to peek, much more consistant now. It really shows in our techno league here. I have been very consistent week to week and getting better scores than years past. I shoot one eyed with my rifle.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Amen to that.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:13 AM

Sorry to say I have to close one I shoot right handed and am left eye dominant so keeping both open really screws me up. I'm too old and stubborn to try to switch to a left handed setup. Never tried one I may someday. With a rifle or other firearm I can shoot equally well left or right handed.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

G-Man and everyone else that says tney can't do it, do you have eye dominance issues? I am left eye dominant and right handed. I have always closed my left eye to shoot, gun or bow. Lately I have been trying to train myself to draw and aim with both eyes open. I have found that I see a double image when I do this, and the image on the left is always right on and the one on the right is off. I have a long way to go before I would feel comfortable hunting with both eyes open.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:35 PM

i'm right eye dominate i use to shoot right handed.now i shoot left handed left eye better than right eye.took a couple of weeks to change i did have a couple of arrows that were aimed with my right eye and miss the target about 2 feet . but i have been shooting over a year now and i shoot better left than right. i guess you can change eyes and it works for me and i am right eye dominate. i always shoot with both eyes open.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:19 PM

Eye dominance does have a lot to do with whether or not you can use both eyes while shooting. For 50 years I shot right-handed. My right eye got damaged many years ago and kept getting worse. As my right eye got worse, target panic was an issue.

About 3 years ago I switched to shooting left-handed. I'm primarily a left-handed shooter right now; but, as many of you know, I can still shoot very well right-handed.

When I shoot right-handed, I have to close my left eye and then slightly open it to use 'both' eyes. In the left-handed mode, both eyes open is easy. Shooting with both eyes open is a lot better for several reasons. Shooting with your dominant eye, if you know which is which, is the better way to go if you can only shoot one way.

Shooting both ways is so much more fun and opens up many more opportunities.