Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 You aren't getting it if... >

You aren't getting it if...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

You aren't getting it if...

Old 02-18-2004, 11:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default You aren't getting it if...

you don't see a deer every time you hunt, then ....
you don't see a buck 99% of the time then....
you don't see a P&Y 80% of the time then...
you don't expect to see a HUGE (fill in your Size Goal)% of the time....

You aren't getting it!

What I'm trying to point out is you have to see what you plan to kill if you want to kill it!

Don't except the fact you if don't have conections or don't own property find the way on

Look around and scout your county and/or state.
I did this for the first few years in. I saw deer and the ocasional P&Y but it didn't satisfy me. I talked and connected. I can shoot a deer every time out. I don't get a chance to see a 160 class everytime but I expect to.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:05 AM

Default RE: You aren't getting it if...

In otherwards if you do your homework, you stand a better chance of finding that trophy buck, but then there is the occasional guy that just gets LUCKY, right place at the right time if you know what I mean!! [:@]
Old 02-19-2004, 12:27 AM

Most indubitably!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2004, 12:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

indubitably....that's my new word for the week thanks fishon
Old 02-19-2004, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not everyone has the time and/or resources to go galavanting all over thier state schmoozing up to landowners for that magical honey hole. Most guys find a property or 2, scout it the best they can and hunt the deer that are available to them. What's wrong in that?
Old 02-19-2004, 06:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Some of my most fun and memorable and gratifying hunts have been ones where I travel to a strange place and/or state, throw a stand on my back, grab my bow. Take a look at the lay of the land as best you can see from the road, take off in the direction or towards the feature you "THINK" has possibilities, find some sign, climb a tree and see what transpires. Sometimes you just hit it better than you can imagine. Manytimes you realize all to late you should have been 50 yards this way or that or maybe on the other side of the road. Fun FUN when it comes together.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

In reality the chance of taking a p&y animal is more plentiful back east on whitetail. Out west we have to work our tails off just for the opportunity.

In the rockies where animals can be in one area that day and five miles away the next puts a real damper on habits of the animal. It usually means a 5 to 7 day cycle if the animals are pushed.

I have and can kill elk and mule deer everytime out with a rifle. I usually hunt where most people have not the ambition to go. But hunting with a muzzleloader and bow makes it more fun and more of a challenge.

Knowing that the monster bull is 70 yds away in somewhat open country and theres no getting closer makes for a beautiful time of watching the animal before he walks on over the hill. Luck is when skill meets opportunity. Stalking a trophy animal out west takes everybit of luck you can have on your side. And endurance. Endeavor to persevere.

Bowhunting is the toughest hunt out west. And if hunting mediocre bucks back east doesn't do it for you. See if just getting a shot opportunity on a nice animal out west is challenging enough.

Out here trophy's get classified on the circumstance not the rack for the most part. After about 20 stalks on bucks or bulls. A nice 20 inch plus buck or a 5x5 bull can look mighty tempting.

All this being public lands. Baiting in Colorado is illegal and I can say I'm glad it is. If you can take a P&y animal on public land you've either had lady luck or you are knowledgable in your craft.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

I don't get it....

Let's see:

killed 4, 2 bucks, 2 does, gave two away(after processed) made two folks very happy...made the farmer happy by eliminating two corn suckers...made my 13YO son happy when he took his second deer..Made the 10YO happy when I spent more time squirrel hunting with him and he got his first...

Did I:

See deer every time out..........no[&o]
See a buck 99% of the time.....no[&o]
See a P&Y 80% of the time......no (and sorry, but I could care less about P&Y)

Have fun....I guess by some standards no.

I don't get it....
Old 02-19-2004, 07:30 AM

Not everyone needs to see a buck or even a deer everytime out. I for one could care less if I saw a deer every hunt. It is about getting to spend time with family and friends.

I have been hunting with my dad since I was able to walk. He would take my brother and I to the woods with him and it was precious time spent together. We all have wonderful memories from the past years and I look forward to many more to come, with them and with my children when they get older.

I think you do not get it if you are only hunting for horns. Take a step back and look at the Big picture.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:31 AM

Holly Cr@p................

I answered NO to all your questions[:'(]

Just when I thought I was getting the hang of this darn sport

Back to the drawing board

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.