Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mathews Owners

Old 02-12-2004, 07:56 AM

Default RE: Mathews Owners

Rack ......It's bad enough that you had to shoot that elk of a whitetail this year.........then start posting near perfect spot scores........now you got to make fun of my bow too ?????
Old 02-12-2004, 08:12 AM

I am on my 2nd Mathews, an Ultramax, and may be buying my third this summer. I am leaning toward an Outback, but the high brace is a real bummer for me. I will give a look to the new Parker 32, as well as the MM VFT, but because of how well my last two M bows performed, the Outback is in the lead.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:16 AM

PMantle, the Outback ia quite fast, evem though the specs do not state it, it is a bundle in itself, the high brace is needed on a little bow, especially for shootability!
Old 02-12-2004, 08:28 AM

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. I left out the fact that I have very short arms for my height, and only have a 27" draw. I have always shot bows with brace under 7", and have never had any trouble. I may be worrying needlessly, but I still worry about speed, I just hate the idea of giving up power stroke from my current and past setups. As I mentioned in a prior thread, if I do go with a bow with a brace close to 8", I will likely either build a new grip, or use a shim to shoot a longer effective draw. If that doesn't work out, I can always trade out the cam for the shorter draw, and return to the original grip.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:33 AM

Pmantle ......I have had a Ultra2 , LX , and now an Outback ....I'll list the speeds w/a wisker biscuit rest & 350 grain arrow! The Ultra 2 shot 298 @ 70 # , LX 300 fps @ 69 # , and the Outback 298 fps @ 69 # !! I think they have underrated the Outback !! The extra BH is nice for me @ 30" draw !!
Old 02-12-2004, 08:48 AM

ORIGINAL: CBM SC

Pmantle ......I have had a Ultra2 , LX , and now an Outback ....I'll list the speeds w/a wisker biscuit rest & 350 grain arrow! The Ultra 2 shot 298 @ 70 # , LX 300 fps @ 69 # , and the Outback 298 fps @ 69 # !! I think they have underrated the Outback !! The extra BH is nice for me @ 30" draw !!

That is great to hear. I love seeing posts from you guys that have actually shot the bows and recorded your own speeds. I do have a question though, and I do not want to start any bickering, but wasn't the Ultramax and U2 listed by Mathews to be in the mid 320's ibo? I cannot get to the site right now for some reason. If so, was the Ultramax overrated speedwise?

Oh, one more question. I opted for the 65% max cam when I bought my Ultramax. I hate it. It feels more like 40%, and tries to rip my arm off at times. I have read similar stories about the cam on the LX and outback. Are the two cams similar in this regard? I will likely go with 80% on the new one. Thanks guys.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Q2 and love it. Really makes shooting fun.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:11 AM

Pmantle.....can't speak for the Ultramax !! But my Ultra2 was a 65% ! I didn't think it was as bad as the 80% maxcam [:'(] !! The newer ones are not nearly "as" bad of arm jerkers.....but still are to an extent ! I personally like the 80% HP cams the best of any Mathews cams to date ! The draw is smoother and more even .....and the draw stop is a great addition !!

I think you will be blown away with the difference in shot noise and vibration between your Ultramax and an Outback !!
Old 02-12-2004, 10:48 AM

legacy owner here and i gave my old mathews, z-max to my dad. all of my archery kills have been with mathews
Old 02-12-2004, 10:49 AM

Brand new Q2XL for me.

Quick Reply: Mathews Owners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.