Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 02-14-2004, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 3D target and kill zone

I'm not a true 3D competitor cause I shoot for hunting kills shots. If I hit them where I want, then it was a good target for me. I agree that some of the targets 10 ring isn't where I'd shoot the critter to take it home with me.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:11 PM

I don't know about that one. I've had all my heart hit animals go down in 5 or 6 seconds. I think it has to do with cutting off oxygen to the brain by diverting blood. Not-breathing has nothing to do with it. How long can you hold your breath?
Old 02-14-2004, 06:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Nic have you hunted many whitetail?I ask because I have posted with you before and you posted about lots of animals like goats and so on but never whiteails.Whiteails can defy logic sometimes and when an animal shot in the heart travels 100 yards or more,that is defying logic in my mind but those darn whitails do it.When they are shot through the lungs,they seem to run out of air and give up,unless they are pushed.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:27 AM

I agree that the Rinehart targets have some of the best shot placement areas for 3d. As far as a real deer, lets give them 5 maybe 10 seconds after the shot. Most deer take off off like they took a shovel in the behind. A whitetail can cover a heck of alot of ground in 5-10 sec. All shots are unique on how the animal will react. You see some that simply stand there and tip over. So, does it really matter if you double lung or heart shoot them, they are basically just as dead. Hats off to anyone that makes a quick clean ethical shot.