Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Am I a bowhunter? >

Am I a bowhunter?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Am I a bowhunter?

Old 02-10-2004, 05:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Am I a bowhunter?

Simple enough question, right? Well, maybe not.

I have noticed a growing trend of folks who are adamant about certain equipment choices. Folks who not only refuse to accept that there may be more than one option but also will downplay the "other options" at every twist and turn. Some really good examples of equipment that has come into question would include ICS carbon arrows, drop away rests, mechanical heads and improved fiber optic sights....not to mention any advancements in bow designs since the 1980s. Examples of that would be single cam or hybrid cam bows, split limbs and/or carbon risers.

Am I an irresponsible archer and bowhunter for choosing equipment that does need meet up with others' requirements for good, reliable equipment??
Old 02-10-2004, 05:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Am I a bowhunter?

Am I an irresponsible archer and bowhunter for choosing equipment that does need meet up with others' requirements for good, reliable equipment??
I shoot a Darton... nuff said. oh,.. with ICS Hunters, Muzzy Zero Effect and Scout Mountain fiber optic sight.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you for the support David...I was kind of wondering on the rest of your setup....
Old 02-10-2004, 07:02 AM

I hear ya PA

There is more to life than a TM hunter prong rest, Easton Gamegetters, Thunderhead 125's, and a Cobra painted pin sight
Old 02-10-2004, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also noticed your observation a while ago. People are far to caught up in the my set up is best. I am purchasing a new bow this year but right now and have been for 10 years shooting a Jennings carbon extreme with aluminum arrows and I know it gets the job done incredibly quickly.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Am I an irresponsible archer and bowhunter for choosing equipment that does need meet up with others' requirements for good, reliable equipment
are "others" irresponsible archers/bowhunters for having too much/excessive technology for the game they are hunting??

I'm not sure who gets the allmighty distinction of dictating what everyone elses set up should consist of. Must be one bright fella.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Irresponsible 'archer'? NO. Irresponsible archers only violate safety rules on the range. Unless, of course, the equipment you've chosen is a danger to you and everone around you. IBO's 5 grains per pound rule is a good example of having to deal with THAT kind of irresponsible behavior.

Irresponsible 'bowhunter'? Only if they're right about what you choose.

On the other hand, Frank, some of us are not saying anything about irresponsibility. My focus is on trying to keep some semblance of simplicity in archery. I also want to see some real enjoyment left in archery. From what I've seen over the past decade, as the simplicity goes, so goes the enjoyment.

Look at a traditional shooter. Them boys are happy to keep an apple size group at 20 yards. They take a great deal of satisfaction from it.

Look at techies with their mechanical doodads and high dollah sights. They're pissed with an apple size group! Same group size, only one bunch has a pleasant day of shooting, the other bunch goes home all pissed off, with steam rolling out their ears. They kick the dog and then they start digging thru the catalogs to find the answer to their problem (when they should be looking in the mirror).

But they have the gall to look down their noses at those who refuse to crawl into their mudhole. Whenever I've seen the word 'unethical' related to equipment, it's ALWAYS coming from the techie side and aimed at the trad side.

***"If you don't use a sighted compound drawing at least 70 pounds with a release and high speed carbon arrows with big cutting mechanicals at 350 fps, then you're not doing all you can to make yourself the most effective hunter you can be, so you're unethical."***

Now, don't tell me you haven't seen that kind of horse s**t on this very forum over the past couple of years. Trads don't call techies unethical (unless they deserve it). STUPID maybe, but not unethical.

What else would you call someone who takes such a pleasurable, simple activity, turns it into rocket science and then gets all frustrated with the results? But the real kicker is getting all frustrated and thinking that just a little MORE technology will fix it all. You know what they call it when you keep doing the same thing over and over and keep expecting different results? Insanity.

From my point of view, archery and bowhunting today has gone insane.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

are "others" irresponsible archers/bowhunters for having too much/excessive technology for the game they are hunting??

That is a whole 'nother can of worms there NY...though it is definitely directly related to what I am commenting on.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rack,
Don't be dissin' my set-up there.

ArthurP,
I agree with a lot of what you say.

I feel that some get caught up in technology and feel they can correct thier problems with more tech. I also feel that many people over complicate archery with some of the technology out there. Yes I use some technology, and the level I choose to use is not right for everyone, but I still think that keeping a hunting rig as simple as one can, will eliminate heartache when you lose the chance at a deer cause you have 10 zillion do-dads that need to work in coordination. Its one thing to try and ensure an accurate shot for a clean kill, its another to rack your brain, lose sleep, get an ulcer and spend thousands of dollars just to gain another 1/4" accuracy to shoot a deer. Just the way I look at it.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:46 AM

Rack,
Don't be dissin' my set-up there.
LOL...no dissin - that set-up is a deer killing machine...............

But so is mine

Quick Reply: Am I a bowhunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.