Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Very Uncomfortable Feeling! >

Very Uncomfortable Feeling!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Very Uncomfortable Feeling!

Old 02-13-2002, 10:10 AM

Default RE: Very Uncomfortable Feeling!

One time walking to my stand with a couple of buddies, before we split up we jumped a few deer which ran out ahead of us. About 100yds ahead, I cross over a little wire fence. There's this little buck all caught up in the fence, terrified, hanging upside down. He never so much as flinched as I grabbed his antlers and a leg and spun him over so he had a little slack. As I backed up, he stood up and jumped free, none the worse for wear. On a side note, I had two piebalds come by me together about an hour later, which of course, I spooked before getting a shot.
I also had a small spike come up to me and a friend as we were eating our lunch. He dozed
off, and the little guy heard the snoring. He seemed fascinated, and kept inching closer, quivering the whole time. My buddy was leaning against a big rock, as was I, so the deer had no idea what we were. He finally walked back up the mountain, looking back every few seconds.
Old 02-13-2002, 11:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Man a lot of good encounters, the funniest was wolfens second one. I have had a number of deer in the 5-10 foot range over the years, but the two best encounters I know of were not mine.

1. My uncle years ago was sitting in a travel lane with his back to a tree and had covered his legs with leaves, the wind was to his back blowing straight across the path. Well this doe comes meandering up the path and stepped right over his legs, then she caught his wind, turned, looked him dead square in the eyes, threw a flag and pissed all over him!!!

2. A good friend of mine was hunting in Ca. and had fallen asleep, well he was awakened by something rooting in his coat pocket where he had hard candy!!!! Ed said he almost crapped himself, because he knew there were black bear in the area. He said when he finally got the guts to look certain death in the eyes it turned out to be a yearling doe with a sweet tooth! Bucks only.

The Tazman
Old 02-13-2002, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

My second year of bowhunting I was on the ground behind a stump while some of my buddies put on a drive. Three deer came busting out of the brush heading right for me. The doe went to my left, a small six went to my right and the big 8 or 10 went right over me. It happened so fast I never got my bow drawn. That's one I'll never forget.
Old 02-13-2002, 03:32 PM

same thing happened to me, kind of. I had just sat down behind a huge red oak along a tree line in a corner of a big field. I no sooner sat down when I saw the 3 pt. approach. I was able to stand up as he fed right up to the base of the oak, just on the other side of me (2 feet max). He was so close I had to wait for him to walk away because I never shot my bow at 2 feet before and wasn't sure of where I'd hit him. He walked to about 15 yds. and my heat-seeking 100 grain muzzy found his lungs. He wasn't big, but I still was shaking like a leaf.
Old 02-13-2002, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

i've never had it happen but i'm sure it would be uncomfortable
Old 02-14-2002, 08:33 AM

This past season I had 2 close calls.

1. Got to my stand but decided I wanted to look down the lane at another potention tree stand spot. I set down all my gear including my bow (big mistake) and walked about 40 yards down the lane. I was standing there on the trail when, sure enough, a small 6 pointer stepped out giving me what would be a perfect shot!! Then the deer turned and walked right up to me!! I just stood there too shocked to move. He looked me over then kept coming even closer. Finally he stopped about 5 or 6 feet away. I then moved my hands and he took off.

2. It was late and I was getting ready to leave. Just as I was getting down from the stand, a doe walked in. I tried to get a bead on her but it was really too dark to see more than 50 yards or so. I couldn't tell where she had gone so I waited until I couldn't hear any more movement and then proceeded to get down. I was standing on the ladder when the doe ran under me followed by two coyotes!! I decided to keep going. While walking to the truck though, I started to get scared that I would be attacked by a coyote. My imagination began running away from me. All of a sudden the unthinkable happened!! I heard loud fast footstep running right up behind me!! I spun around fast, raised my arms and yelled "RAAAAA" but this turned into "YAAAA!!!!" I was face to face with that doe!! We scared the living crap outta each other! HAHA!!

-Mike
Old 02-14-2002, 09:11 AM

Haven't had close encounters with deer, but this fall I was in my treestand in a huge old oak tree. Just before dark, I saw movement out about 40yrds. While I sat there and watched a flock of wild turkeys worked their way into the oak grove. Eventually there were about twenty-five of them and they proceeded to fly up and roost all around me in my tree. I couldn't believe the racket they made slapping their wings against branches and knocking down limbs. After about 10 minutes they all settled down with two of them so close I could have touched them with my longbow. I thought that when it came time for me to climb down, it would be a chinese fire drill with turkeys flying in every direction. But to my complete surprise, when I eventually started down, not a single turkey budged; they just sat there like statues and watched me walk away.

Jack
Old 02-14-2002, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

It'd be interesting to see if they returned to that tree again to roost.
Old 02-15-2002, 07:12 PM

Thanks folks for shaing your stories they have been great!
Old 02-15-2002, 07:13 PM

Thanks folks for shaing your stories they have been great!

Quick Reply: Very Uncomfortable Feeling!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.