Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gold Tip Gladiator >

Gold Tip Gladiator

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gold Tip Gladiator

Old 02-05-2004, 08:57 AM

Default Gold Tip Gladiator

I didn't want to get lost in Cougar's post and really wanted to pass the word along.

I hear all kinds of controversy about fixed over mechanical and one brand over another. There are alot of old favorites out there, but most all broadheads will kill if used properly.

Having said all that, I've taken several bucks over the years with a top rated bow and 100 gr. Thunderheads. Everyone knows how great these heads are, but without starting a huge fixed/mechanical frenzy, I have to say that the Gold Tip Gladiators I used this year were phenomenal.

I bought a new Bowtech dually to drive them with and found that after tuning my bow to a razors edge, the semi-mechanical Gladiator simply out performed the Thunderheads all the way around.

I took one buck (40 yds) behind the left ear and out behind the right and words can't describe how impressive the results were, but I still wanted to see the right angle boiler room shot before I gave the head anymore praise. Well I got my chance and shot through a buck at fifty yards and he did one 360, raised up, and flopped over lifeless in like five to ten seconds. No exaggeration. I went right over to him and in the time it took me to travel the fifty yards, his eyes were glazed over and he never twitched again.

You know the rest: devestating wound channels, blood everywhere, but we all have the same examples with our own broadheads.

The bottom line is the Gladiator is a good mix of fixed and mechanical. They tune easy with a U.B.A.R. and an o-ring. They have a fantastic ability to pierce so it would seem that they would work great at angles. The biggest attribute is the price. At thirty to forty dollars a dozen, you can't beat the price which makes blade sharpening a thing of the past.

Sorry for writing a book, but if you haven't tried the Gladiator yet then do yourself a favor and check them out. You can buy a more expensive and more quality built broadhead, but I honestly think these heads are the best value I've seen in archery equipment in a long time.

Boldt
Old 02-05-2004, 09:17 AM

Default RE: Gold Tip Gladiator

Why did you shoot the buck behind the ear???? With a bow and arrow right..????? Was you just admiring his rack or what? Just curious
Old 02-05-2004, 09:36 AM

I took one buck (40 yds) behind the left ear and out behind the right
Thats some fine shooting

You gonna have fun with this post

Get your GPS ready - who knows where we are headed[:-]
Old 02-05-2004, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

...Hmmm what is that rumbling noise I hear on the horizon?... Sounds much like the clamor or war []....

All that aside I will respond to essence of the post. I am not a big fan of the Gladiator head (loved the movie however [:-]). I don't care for a their "poly" ferrule. I realize it is shielded by a metal alloy but I see it as a potential problem. Not a strength issue in my opinion but an alignment issue. I have had some that regardless of what I did I couldn't get them to spin true which could be related to the "poly" to metal fit in their manufacturing process.

I must admit however the one buck that I took with one the results were excellent. The angle was sharper than it appeared entering the front side of the right flank and exiting out the front of the chest. In other words, except for the hind quarters it passed through the entire length of the buck (200+ lbs.). Nice holes, decent blood trail for approximately a 50 yard run and the head was intact.

Good result but I like some other heads better just because I feel they are made better. But on the other hand what do I know, my favorite color is camouflage .
Old 02-05-2004, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took one buck (40 yds) behind the left ear and out behind the right
Well I got my chance and shot through a buck at fifty yards
oh boy....better put your gladiator gear on.... [:-]
Old 02-05-2004, 12:24 PM

well ......no comment about the left ear shot........[][:@][:'(][:@][>:]
Old 02-05-2004, 02:53 PM

Yikes, here we go again.......................................
Old 02-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

40yard head shot?[] Maybe your arrow hit a branch or the buck jumped the string, or jumped into your shot as you were shooting at his boiler room. I hope. No bowhunter should shoot at a Deer's head!!! Ever!!!
Old 02-05-2004, 09:56 PM

I had no idea I'd create such a stir. It's like they're waiting for an unsuspecting newbie to show up so they can pounce.

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, but I had to back up 4 yards to get a perfect 40 yards and the buck wasn't gonna move for anything. Believe me I tried. My buddy did say it was a nice shot, but I would not have taken it unless the situation was right. I mean it was only 40 yards and I hit right where I was aiming. I guess it was a good shot. Hmm, only heard one of you mention that.

I'll try and keep to myself from now on, but just for future reference: what is the proper range 10, 20, 30, FEET?

The point I was trying to make was that I thought for the money that the Gladiator has some nice attributes. There's no doubt that its composite construction is low budget and you'll get one you have to massage once in a while, but I really do believe they're pretty special.

Now if you guys will roll back a little I promise to be good and just listen.

I hope this doesn't screw up my fishing bow request.

Boldt
Old 02-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry for writing a book...
You didn't write enough of one. You left out some VERY important data. What arrow weight? What speed? What KE does your bow put out?

I really wish you guys would post that critical info EVERY TIME you brag about your 'devastating wound channels' with mechanical broadheads! Say, for instance, someone who reads this stuff, gets all fired up and heads off down to the local WallyWorld to buy mechs to shoot off his 30 year old, 6-wheel, 40 pound draw Bear Whitetail.

I wouldn't want to know someone made a screw-up like that based on something I wrote.

Quick Reply: Gold Tip Gladiator

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.