Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 aluminum or carbon?? >

aluminum or carbon??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

aluminum or carbon??

Old 02-04-2004, 11:38 AM

Default aluminum or carbon??

I have carbon arrows and I love them... but I know people also shoot aluminums. Why would someone prefer aluminum over carbon?? Are there any advantages to them??
Old 02-04-2004, 01:03 PM

Default RE: aluminum or carbon??

I shoot aluminum because of the weight. I don't shoot 3-d, I just Hunt. I think the heavier arrows add more momentum for a little more chance of better penitration.(especialy if you hit bone)Plus they are cheaper and tend to be straighter than carbon arrows.
Old 02-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-04-2004, 01:11 PM

They are straighter

They have a more consistant spine

They are cheaper

They are heavier

Easier to get old fletchings off

Greater selection to fine tune spine

But I shoot carbons.............
Old 02-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

My carbons weigh 480 gr. @ 29 inches without weight tubes and they are straight to within .003, kind of seems like the best of both worlds to me
Old 02-04-2004, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a big carbon fan. Aluminum does have more knock down power though. I've been thinking about switching to Aluminum-Carbon.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ditto on what Rack Attack stated....even down to the ..."But I shoot carbons" line.

The other potential problems associated with carbons are not enough of a hinderance to me in comparison to the advantages they offer.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:52 AM

Carbon. I could'nt afford to shoot aluminum! Seriously, If you shoot 1 arrow @ each target you'll be ok with aluminum. I never liked when that target would topple over on my alumnium arrow. The carbon arrow will survive.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Carbon arrows have some advantages. IMO, at this point in their evolution, they don't have enough advantages to make up for their disadvantages - especially with the bargain basement arrows. My cedar arrows for my longbow are straighter and more consistent than most cheap carbons, and that's the gospel truth.

Aluminum arrows have their disadvantages, but have more than enough advantages to make up for their shortcomings. Rack-attack did a good job of listing the advantages. One great advantage is you can get quality - speaking of straightness and consistent spine and weight - in an aluminum arrow that you'd have to pay near double the price to get in carbon.

TreePhantom says he can't afford to shoot aluminum arrows. I can't afford to buy the carbons that would give me the kind of quality arrow I want. I know when I buy a dozen aluminum arrows that they will all shoot broadheads well. Carbon arrows in the same price range, I'm lucky to get two arrows out of a dozen that will do the same.

My field archery scores with carbon arrows have been a solid 50 points less than my average scores with aluminum arrows.

Aluminum arrows do get bent. But, unlike most people who throw away bent aluminums, I use an arrow straightener and put them right back to factory tolerances or better. I'd rather be straightening aluminums than tossing out a cracked carbon.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:51 PM

Goldtip xt's are the best out there.

Quick Reply: aluminum or carbon??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.