Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 02-01-2004, 11:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How do you feel about P & Y changing the let-off rule?

It's all about the $$$$$.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:25 AM

As I said I did buy a 70% let off bow. I said I was happy with the rule being changed. I gave it some thought. I really don't care. It would be nice to have my name in the book, but I don't really care about it. It's kinda like hunting for sport to me.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

It would be nice to have my name in the book
The original reason for P&Y was to honor the animal not the hunter. Today I believe this has been lost. I wonder if they were to really look into how many "book animals" were taken how many would be disqualified ?
Old 02-01-2004, 01:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Founded in 1961 as a nonprofit scientific organization..............The Club advocates and encourages responsible bowhunting by promoting quality, fair chase hunting, and sound conservation practices. Today it fosters and nourishes bowhunting excellence and acts in the best interest of our bowhunting heritage everywhere. The Club promotes and participates in improving sound wildlife conservation and wise use of our natural resources.

Through its Records Program, the Club encourages quality bowhunting by awakening interest in outstanding examples of this continent's big game animals. The Club records for posterity scientific data on North American big game taken with bow and arrow. It conducts ongoing recording periods and every two years presents appropriate recognition to the finest specimens submitted. These biennial presentations honor the quality of individual examples of North American big game species and promote the ideals of fair chase.
You know that if they were truely for the promotion of the bow hunting sport and for "scintifically" honoring the animals taken then the 65% let off rule was bogus in the first place.

Had the club been formed in 1990 instead of 1961 then there would have been no problem with high let off bows. The only reason that rule existed in the first place was because 65% was the let off of bows at that time. Then you have a bunch of old farts that feel they're skills with their 65% bows are somehow superior to the rest of us and feel the need to not keep promoting the bowhunting sport and only promote what they feel is apropriate.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

The original reason for P&Y was to honor the animal not the hunter. Today I believe this has been lost.
I didn't know that. I thought it was to honor the hunter and his accomplishment.

There is a benefit to the changing of the rules. Some people couldn't hold a 65% let off bow for that long. It's kinda like kicking the weak out of the sport.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

You know that if they were truely for the promotion of the bow hunting sport and for "scintifically" honoring the animals taken then the 65% let off rule was bogus in the first place
Don't kid yourself, if it was not for Pope and Young, the people who promoted archery, and those who continue to promote bowhunting and fair chase bowhunting, it would not be what it is today! Bet you most if not all of the bow manufacturers are somewhat thankful.

Then you have a bunch of old farts that feel they're skills with their 65% bows are somehow superior to the rest of us and feel the need to not keep promoting the bowhunting sport and only promote what they feel is apropriate.
I guarantee you could shoot a bow with 65% and even a lower letoff as well as you do a high letoff bow!

Funny thing this letoff deal........most archers that shoot 80-85% letoff bows I know, jack their poundage up.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

Yup, glad they changed it.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:51 PM

as i said before whoop de doo
Old 02-01-2004, 08:51 PM

I would enter my trophy in the book if I ever had a chance to take an animal of that maturity. As for the time being I am not going all out to have my name in a book just because I hunt. Once again, I would do it if I had the chance to take an animal of that size.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:30 PM

bow_huntr - if you really want to shoot one that size, try using a feeder full of corn - it's the way to go!! You might get lazy though![:-][:-][:-]

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.