Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question about your local pro shop loyalty?? >

Question about your local pro shop loyalty??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question about your local pro shop loyalty??

Old 02-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question about your local pro shop loyalty??

My local shop is much the same as everyone elses, if you buy stuff from them they set it up free. If you bringin your Basspro or Wally world bow and need small things they charge for the products and the labor. I have reached "preferred" customer status at my shop and can not remember the last time I paid full asking price for anything. In excahange I send them a ton of business every year. There have even been times when I have worked behind the counter when they were swamped. The guys in the shop know if they are in a jam they can call me and I will give them a hand no questions asked. Last year alone I spent in excess of $3000 in their shop, and they will still continue to get my business. I have a buddy that gets much the same treatment. Having said that, I do not expect, nor have I ever asked for preferred pricing on anything in their shop. They treat me well, and I send them a ton of business. Mutual respect goes along way, as long as I keep getting it from them they will keep getting my business and recommendations.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:12 PM

mdbohuntr/Rick:

You know you're always welcome in my shop. I enjoy the art of 'touching a nerve' as much as the next guy. I look forward to your visits and will always do my best to earn your respect and business.

PAhunter86:

Please, I'd rather not compare skateboards to bows. But, as a matter of fact, I have done the set-ups for customers 3000+ miles away. Ask Roland in CA for one.

reylamb:

If you ever want to move to Maryland, I have the same arrangement with quite a lot of my customers. It sounds like you could be added to the list of 'preferred customers' easily.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Len, I would love to have a sit down conversation with you some day, I could learn alot. I just wish your shop was a little closer to my house!!!!

What is quite amusing is listening to me trying to convence other customers that I do not actually work at the shop.
"Yeah you do to work here, you sold me a treestand last week and now I need some accessories for it."
"No I do not work here, but let's see what I can do to help."
"You sure you do not work here, everytime I come in here you are here also?"
"Actually, I pay them to come in the shop!!!!"

Good PRO shops are hard to come by. I want to keep mine around for quite some time, so they get all the support I can physically (and more often than not monetarily) give them.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:50 PM

the bow shop i go to has given me $100's of dollars worth of free services & parts for my bow.... and i didn't even buy it there..... may be because i am a lady?? not sure
Old 02-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you buy a set of tires they dont give you
the valve stems,why should they give you anything?
My shop charges 15.00 per hr.and I feel that is very
fair,he has to make a living to.A lot of times he will
check my bow,etc. and no charge, drive 50 miles
and would drive further to trade with Randy!
Old 02-01-2004, 06:23 PM

i've gotten free valve stems too..... you guys must not be doing something right LOL
Old 02-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

a locally owned proshop here in illinois is over priced a little, but whether u buy the bow there or not, as long as u r buyin one of the products there they will put it on for free. they also dont charge for peeps, silencers, kisser buttons, nock sets, or cable guards. they willl also align everything and replace things from normal where for no cost if it is a small cheap item(which any1 should)
Old 02-01-2004, 07:20 PM

Peep - cost of part plus 10-15 minutes to properly align and tie in
Silencers - cost of part plus 5-10 minutes to install
Kisser buttons - cost of part plus 5-10 minutes to align and install
Nock sets - cost of part plus 3-5 minutes to align and install
Cable guards - cost of part plus 2 minutes to 1 hour to properly install

Man, these guys must charge a lot extra to cover all this labor and those parts they're giving away.

For an example, the nock set must be installed, by my standards, in a RS Bow Vise using their levels. At this time we can also do a cursory installation of the kisser and the peep. That's a start and does not take into consideration tuning the bow. Once the nock position is established, we have the archer draw the bow, with an arrow on it, to establish the archer's anchor points. The kisser location can then be established at this time. Once we set the precise point of the kisser and lock it in, we can then have the archer pull the bow back again while blocking the peep. We make the archer maintain his comfortable anchors, we can then move the peep so that it aligns with his sight.

Each and every time we have the archer draw the bow, we ask him/her how it feels. If you or your shop tries to shortcut this procedure, I question the exactness of your set-up. Even after we've done it once, we will evaluate it again after the archer has shot the bow for a while.

If the situation requires a string change, we have tools that guage the exact location of the existing string components. If we see something, like a kisser and peep that are too far from the nock set, we question the archers set-up. In many cases the kisser and peep located too far from the nock set indicates a draw length that is too long.

We could never spend this amount of time and trouble on any bow and not get paid for our PROfessional efforts. In the case of a new bow purchase, all set-up labor and tuning is free, along with range time and a thousand arrow check-up.

In the 1st paragraph situation, you're saying that 25 minutes minimum to 1 hour and 40 minutes maximum should be given away. And that's for someone who buys their equipment elsewhere and wants the shop to take care of not only the cost of the string parts, but the proper installation time as well. Wow, that's quite a shop. It might just pay for everyone in each surrounding State to drive to Illinois to take advantage of this deal.

Opps, forgot the string silencers. I'm sure Steve Sims doesn't mind the shop giving away his products. As long as they can afford to pay their bills. If it's any of the other string silencing materials, they are not that expensive but do require time to properly install.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:44 PM

First of all, I started this post and this is what I meant. I have probably spent well over 1,000 dollars on my bow alone, not to mention, probably close to 6 or 700 dollars on other supplies. All of it bought at this particular pro-shop. I by know means think that they should service bows that they did not sell. I by everything for my bowhunting there, everything. No, i don't feel they should give limbsavers, ls string leeches away, but $2 peeps, $2 String silencers, installation of new rest, yeah I think it should be included. If all store did this then Fine. But I know that they don't so why is this one charging me? If I had bought my bow somewhere else and then wanted a new rest put on, then maybe I could see them charging, but I personally wouldn't.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:49 PM

Dang Len,

Whenever I visit my nephew this summer in Ocean City, I will have to stop at your shop and bring my bow

Quick Reply: Question about your local pro shop loyalty??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.