Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New York bowhunting season

Old 01-31-2004, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New York bowhunting season

you want prefernce and get the privledges of being a resident - MOVE TO NY
in the past non residents were able to take more deer than residents - one for each license they bought (bow, gun, muzzle) Now they have adopted a system like that for residents (the way it should be)

I am not against non residents hunting in NY (more deer taken the better in my opinion - and more $$ generated) and I agree with david that tags (doe are the only tags that can get signed over) should be able to be able to be signed over to anyone with a valid NY hunting license (resident or non)

by they way - In my opinion, the DEC does a pretty good job overall - sure there are always going to be bitches from somebody , but for the most part, they know what's goining on and do a good job
Old 02-01-2004, 08:17 AM

I have to agree with Doughboy, I'm not crazy about a Saturday opener, but I can live with it. If we get two more weeks in nice weather, that would be great. Although I prefer to hunt the rut, anytime in a stand is time well spent.
As far as the tags are concerned, I also think the DEC is doing a pretty good job. I personally would like to see them go the same way that PA did, with an antler restriction. I really don't hold back when it comes to harvesting a Buck, but I can only imagine what it would be like in 3-5 years around here if everyone had to!

J-bow
Old 02-01-2004, 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

all of these probably make atlas want to jump out of his tree stand - maybe he should move to Jersey or something (don't really know him but the one comment got me goin' - don't mean to be negative)
What comment was that??

Look at the facts. Our bow season starts too late. We have a 5 day Muzzleloader season........are you freakin' kidding me?? LOL. The deer numbers dwindle every year but the DEC keeps handing out more tags and telling you that the herd is growing out of control. They want more hunters and more deer killed every year yet each year that goes by the number of deer on public hunting grounds gets smaller and smaller.

The NY DEC is full of $hit to be blunt. Years ago I used to see deer travel in groups of 15-20 on a regular basis. Today if you see more then 3 together it is rare. Does travel with their fawns and maybe a buck is near by, that's it. But according to the DEC we are up to our ears in them. Where exactly are they counting???......in the suburbs and local parks?? They sure as hell aren't counting in the state forests where they should be.

NY is such a great state with tremendous potential for deer hunting...........but as long as you keep swallowing the crap they are feeding you year after year that potential slips farther away.

The DEC wants a deer slaughter in NY plain and simple. Years ago when deer were all over the hills you needed 5 guys just to get 1 doe permit. Today you can get 5 tags with a license and 2 more form a buddy........you can also go back and try for more in Nov when they give out all the leftovers. 7 tags per hunter........CMON MAN!!!!! That is rediculous.

I am from Western NY and I have talked to dozens of hunters about this past season with not one person saying it was a good year for deer. What I mean by that is they just didn't see the numbers and/or quality they expect in our woods. I hunted 40+ days this year with every weapon legal in 6 different areas and I can count on both hands the number of deer I saw just walking around in the woods........I saw 2 bucks all year....one with bow and I couldn't get a shot, the other one I killed with a shotgun........that was literally the ONLY chance I had all year to take a deer.......not a big buck, not a mature deer.......A DEER!!! That is laughable (or cryable). Spending that much time in the woods and seeing very few deer is a very bad sign of things to come. This winter has been worse then last year IMO and I don't even want to think about what that will do to the already low deer numbers.

It's amazing how easily people except something as the truth just because it is what they want to hear.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Atlas, Don't know where your hunting but where I live there are plenty of deer.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: atlasman

I hear they want to start shotgun season on Saturday next year so they can have the most hunters possible in the woods.

They will not be happy until they are all gone

Maybe they will give out 50 tags per hunter next year and just be done with it.

Idiots.

the only one you made (at first I thought you were bashing shotgun hunters - but after reading a few more times, i guess you were bashing DEC???)
Old 02-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not this debate again Charlie - what are we to do??
We need to get NY Bowhunter back into it

I am not going down that road again. This is all I'll say, I think atlas is way off base - THE ARE TOO MANT DEER IN NY ...PERIOD. Like before, just because you don't see the deer doesn't mean they aren't there. Yes, local populations do fluctuate and may be down (or up) from year to year. Atlas, you sort of answered you own arguement - there are less hunters in the woods, therefore we need to have more permits/tags for those who do hunt to help control the population. You do realize that is the ultimate reasoon why we are hunting - deer control (yes, there are all the other reasons - meat, enjoyment, getting out in nature, tradition, etc.) And I will state it again (and I did get a little feedback to back this up) - seven tags does not necessarily mean 7 deer taken. And you have to be hunting with bow and muzzle to get all of those tags.

Well enough said and like I stated at the beginning - been down this road before and don't want to beat the horse again. I can already tell, no matter what i (or others say) we won't be changing atlas' opinions (however wrong they may be [&:][8D][])
Old 02-01-2004, 01:48 PM

[8D] I think NY DEC does a fair to middling job. It's not an easy job by any means so I am not too harsh on them. I saw plenty of deer this year and more bucks than normal. It certainly depends a lot about location. Pressure from urban sprawl has a great deal to do with changing herd structure and patterns. When former bedding areas and food lots disappear deer herds must relocate to a more liveable area that is necessary for their survival. When those situations occur you can see former great areas disappear. The herds are in a transition phase to a new area. Many hunters who have seen dwindling #'s in recent years should look closely as to recent sprawl in their areas. Often you will find that your former great area have indeed been affected by sprawl. I do not think it has as much to do with added permits and recent tough winters as it has to do with these transitioning herds. That IMO is why DEC has a difficult job and is performing probably as well as their expertise permits at this stage of herd management capabilities.
Old 02-01-2004, 05:15 PM

I hunted 40+ days this year with every weapon legal in 6 different areas and I can count on both hands the number of deer I saw just walking around in the woods........I saw 2 bucks all year....one with bow and I couldn't get a shot, the other one I killed with a shotgun........that was literally the ONLY chance I had all year to take a deer.......not a big buck, not a mature deer.......A DEER!!! That is laughable (or cryable).
If this is the case, why don't you just give it up? It sounds like you're ready to commit suicide.
You're doing something radically wrong.......40+ days and that's all you came up with?
I can't say exactly how many days I hunted, maybe somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40 days. I can honestly say that everytime I went out, except for one afternoon, I saw a Deer of some sort, whether it was from my stand or still hunting.
Maybe you need to change your tactics or the way you prep youself for a hunt! Even during gun, I go through the same painstaking process I use for bowhunting. Never let your gaurd down!
Or maybe you need to start hunting a totally new spot! NY State [bIS loaded with Deer!!! No question about it!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 02-01-2004, 09:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

Atlas, Don't know where your hunting but where I live there are plenty of deer.

Allegheny and Cattaragus counties mostly. Did some local hunts in the suburban outskirts and hunted near Auburn a couple times as well.....don't remember the county.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: doughboysigep

ORIGINAL: atlasman

I hear they want to start shotgun season on Saturday next year so they can have the most hunters possible in the woods.

They will not be happy until they are all gone

Maybe they will give out 50 tags per hunter next year and just be done with it.

Idiots.

the only one you made (at first I thought you were bashing shotgun hunters - but after reading a few more times, i guess you were bashing DEC???)

I love hunting of any kind.......I have gun hunted my hole life and wouldn't give it up for anything.

Quick Reply: New York bowhunting season

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.