Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 tomorrow is the last day >

tomorrow is the last day

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tomorrow is the last day

Old 01-31-2004, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: tomorrow is the last day

Today was the last day of deer season and it went on by without a THWACK!
I woke up this morning late because my alarm clock decided to not go off today of all days[:@] I wake up late but undeterred so I suit up in camos and head to the woods to still hunt this thicket.
I get to the first spot and hit the creekline at just after 9:00. I work my way along the creek line to the thicket behind this barn and work all through that and nothin.
So I head to a different property and walk down to a hillside that they usually bed down on. Im taking my time workin that and lookin for that little piece of the deer that lets me see it. All of the sudden I am watchin ahead and I see something move! I look and look its an ear. I see its a doe, then I see another! 2 does bedded down by the fence!
I work down to the bottom of the hillside and put a bush between me and them to hide my approach. If I get to the bush it will be a 25 yard shot. Well within my effective range. I get about 60 yards away and a BUNCH of doves take out of a tree right behind the deer and they know somethins up because of them dang doves so they take off. Had a shot but it was too far, I didnt feel comfortable with a 60 yarder. They take off and I trail to try to find them but they are gone. I work back to the truck through a CRP field and nothin.
Home for lunch and I see 5 does in a woods that I cant hunt in. Figures! I get home at 12:00.
After lunch I head out and drive around and see 2 bucks workin their way toward where I am allowed to hunt. I loose them as they decide against it and work over the ridge the other way.
I go back to the house and work another creekline behind my house but to no avail.
I give up still hunting and go to a stand. I sit there through the end of legal light and walk out thinking about what the season had brought me. More knoledge, a freezer full of meat, fun times, and memories that will last a lifetime. Priceless!

Im done for this year so now starts the scouting and shooting my new bow after I finish deckin it out and I got all of Feb. to hunt for rabbits and then till April to practice for turkey season, so Ill keep buisy but I got till Oct. till I can hunt for the majestic white tail again
Old 01-31-2004, 07:35 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-31-2004, 08:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Was this a P & Y twig or just a twiggling?
I don't think it's my place to measure the twig. AND, it's not always the size but the quality of the hunt that counts. For example... as he was dressing his deer today I told Rob I suspected Len had cut the twig with his pocket knife rather than admit to just plain failure.[&:][:-] I mean, I can get some quality digs out of this little twig. I can have a whole pile of wood worth of jokes when it's over. I guess that would make it a P & Y Joke.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Deerhuntr good luck and get us a bruiser.

nubo