Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bad arrow hit, deer paralyzed! >

Bad arrow hit, deer paralyzed!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bad arrow hit, deer paralyzed!

Old 01-28-2004, 08:28 PM

Default Bad arrow hit, deer paralyzed!

I was wondering if any of you have ever made a hit with an arrow that broke a deers back, but didnt kill it , just paralyzed it. What would you do? Shoot it twice,cut its neck, ect......
Old 01-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bad arrow hit, deer paralyzed!

While the situation you described should not be a regular occurance, we as hunters are attempting to take an animal's life and the occasional poor shot will happen........that animal deserves our quickest and most humane effort possible. If you have an animal in such a situation, shoot again end it as quickly as you can.
I know as a hunter I always feel a touch of remorse for ending an animals life, but the taking of it's life now provides my family with many wondeful meals.
It's the circle of life.......whether its a burger from McDonalds, a piece of Kentucky Fried Chicken or a fillet O fish.........its the circle of life.
It's killing and it's not a pretty affair, but feel no shame in what you have acomplished and provided for yourself, but take it seriously.

I for one take this stuff VERY seriously, and have the utmost respect for the game we hunt. Think about the statement "Would you cut the deer's throat" for a second........

.......I'm not here to preach ethics and sportsmanship, but I for one will never take the time to gather my thoughts, and gear, climb down out of my stand and waste time in ending an animals life as quickly and humanely as possible.........and for what? A $10 arrow?

Always carry that sense of respect for yourself and the animals you are harvesting.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well we're just glad that that deer has been dealt with and isn't laying deep in a bush for the coyote's to finish.I agree with Matt on this don't waste time just shoot it again and put it out of it's misery.I for one wouldn't be trying to slit it's throat because that animal can still move it's head and when you grab it your going for a ride . We as hunter's religiously believe it's our duty that any animal we take we take the quickest and most humane way that we know so not to have them suffer .I for one hate to see any animal suffer under any circumstances.

nubo
Old 01-28-2004, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with Matt, put an end to it ASAP. The price of an arrow and broadhead is not important in the scheme of things.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Shoot it again or cut it throat, just make sure it dies quick.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:12 AM

I've done it once and my dad has done it once...We just climb down and put another arrow in the boiler room so that the deer doesn't suffer anymore.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

I had one instance when I shot a muley buck. He was broadside to me and I thought I had gut shot him after he jumped when the arrow hit him. In that instance the arrow hit the buck it looked like the arrow was in his guts. So the deer moves off about 50yds. And I start to sneak back up on him. I get within 50yds of him and he's looking back at me just standing there. I sure didn't want to chase him and lose the deer. So I wait for the deer to turn alittle bit quartering to me. I know it wasn't a good idea on shot placement but I shot anyway. I saw that arrow hit just behind the shoulder. I knew it was good but the deer just keep standing there. So I tried another shot on him. This time I was high and raked down his back. That actually knocked the deer down.
Keep in mind this was when I was 19 and I was in panic mode. But come to find out the first arrow went through the lungs towards the back of the rib cage.
I just think if you can shoot again do so. Sliting animals throats has killed a few hunters over the years. I like to see animals not suffering and I do whatever I can to make it as fast as I can.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:39 AM

my first buck, it took the whole quiver to finally put him down. i shot him in the back and i was so nervous that i got down and tried to shoot through some underbrush and the arrows kept hitting off branches. finally i composed myself and walked right up to him and put an arrow in both lungs....anytime i can put a second arrow in a deer i do.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:04 AM

2 nd. shot in the vitals. If animal is wiggling about after a paralizing shot make sure to climb down, if you are aloft and get close for that 2 nd. shot. If ground hunting walk up so you get that close shot also.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:35 AM

I had this happen to me this year on my first deer ever. I tried to shoot her in the boiler room from the ground and she flinched and it broke her leg. So be EXTREMELY careful and don't just take a shot and hope for the best. Be sure you hit it right or just simply slice the throat.

Quick Reply: Bad arrow hit, deer paralyzed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.