Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 was out looking for some sheds and found this(looking for opinions) >

was out looking for some sheds and found this(looking for opinions)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

was out looking for some sheds and found this(looking for opinions)

Old 01-24-2004, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default was out looking for some sheds and found this(looking for opinions)

found this yearling buck. I have no idea as to why it died. I couldn't find any wounds on him and he wasn't to skinny. So I know he didn't starve or die of malnutrition. Any quesses?

Both his main beams are broke off to. Maybe he was injured in a sparring match, but it appears he died on the run because the sappling there by his head is broke from him landing on it and it was froze to him. I found him in some thick bedding.

Old 01-24-2004, 04:00 PM

Default RE: was out looking for some early sheds and (looking for opinions)

Hey Buckeye,

It is hard to tell from the picture what all happened to him. It looks like it has been dead for awhile, so there is a bunch of things that could have happened. It is possible that it got shot and the wound is on the side where it is laying. Also, it is possible that it was shot awhile ago, the wound healed up but the deer got an infection. Another possability is that the deer got hit by a car. Maybe it was run by dogs/coyotes and died of exhaustion. Disease? It is hard to tell because there are so many things that happen to deer.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would guess he hasnt been dead a real long time. There are no signs of decay or smell from him. I could lean him upwards all the way back to the hind quaters. They were to frozen to the ground to break loose. There were no visible injuries anywhere on him unless he was injured on his hind quater where it was froze to the ground.

I agree its hard to say what happened. He was about 3/4 miles from a road so its a possibility he was hit by a car. There are no coyotes in this area where I hunt. I have hunted there for 4 years and never saw one or any tracks in the snow while hunting or scouting. Could have been diease.

I really do believe he died on the run though, I would think if he was run down by coyotes they would have ate him though.

Any other ideas??
Old 01-24-2004, 05:28 PM

I saw a lot of that in PA this year. My area has a 4 point on at least one side restriction, and these deer that are being shot are clearly not legal. It makes me sick, and defeats the entire purpos of antler restrictions.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:35 PM

Buck magnet is right its hard to tell from a picture...could possibly be from disease such CWS, but with that they tend to be malenourished. You would think if it was a preadator that it would be eaten. Suprisingly I'm suprised a opussom or some other scavenger or something hasn't already started to eat the carcass, maybe that is a sign of disease.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

i found a button buck this fall on my way into my stand one morning,no sign of injury anywhere on him called dow and they were not interested said to dispose of it so i took it away from hunting area for the coyotes and cut him open .he was hit by a car all busted up inside
Old 01-24-2004, 09:03 PM
Dominant Buck

He was probably watching the Ohio Buckeyes and had a coronary.[]

Old 01-25-2004, 05:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

LOL at David

Old 01-25-2004, 09:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey they ended up # 4 in the coaches and ass. press polls. NOT TO BAD!!
What was that game they just won??? you know the bowl game against kansas
OH YEA, the fiesta bowl!<-----in case you forgot
GO BUCKS!!!!!!
Old 01-25-2004, 10:24 AM
Dominant Buck

I know... I was cheering for them. I just was razzing you a little. My sister lives in Mason and her kids attended Ohio State. We always cheer for them.

Quick Reply: was out looking for some sheds and found this(looking for opinions)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.