HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Trail cam pics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/50273-trail-cam-pics.html)

wigmap 01-21-2004 11:07 AM

Trail cam pics

Do you have any suggestions for keeping batteries fresh in cold weather. The cold really seems to zap the batteries power.

PABowhntr 01-21-2004 11:59 AM

RE: Trail cam pics

You may try experimenting with different brands of batteries. Some different brands or styles (extended life, etc...) might work better than others. You may also try rechargeable NIMH batteries though under normal conditions they normally do not last as long. Maybe the cold weather would have a different effect.

ampahunter 01-21-2004 12:07 PM

wigmap,
When you find a solution to this one kindly pass-it-on. I've got the same problem with mine and it gets worse as the weather gets colder.

RiverBottomBowHunter 01-21-2004 03:01 PM

I have a moultrie feeders cam.

I had a Problem with reg. batteries going dead quick in cold weather.

I bought 4 energizer lithium AA bats. put 2 in the cam and two for backup. I was gone for 8 days. when i got back everything worked just fine. It was also in the low teens while i was gone.

on the package it says these things are rated to 40 below. they are expensive. like 7 bucks for two.

Buck Magnet 01-21-2004 03:06 PM

In the summer/fall I was using some Rayovak's. They were dirt cheap and they worked good in that weather. I just set-up my camera on Sunday and I decided to put some Duracell Ultras in it. It is kind of expensive for the Stealth Cams (they take 8 batteries which costs around $8). They are out right now and the weather has been between 0 degrees and 15 degrees. Friday I will check the camera and see how they are doing!!!!

Belle Island 01-21-2004 03:14 PM

My duracell's lasted 2 weeks that I know of. I haven't check my camera since then, so it is still going this weekend, that will be over 1 month on a set.

BigDaddy12t 01-21-2004 07:10 PM

I have had my Stealth cam out for 2 weeks with the same Duracells in and it has been below zero here.

CLOUD 9, MN 01-21-2004 07:36 PM

My Trailtimer Photohunter lasts 3 1/2 months in the summer. In cold weather its about 2 months. I use lithium batteries like my Photohunter directions say.

Good LUck!

HANKFAN 01-22-2004 05:17 AM

My Deer Cam will last 60-90 days on only 2 9-volts. This is where when you spend a little more on a scouting camera in the begining it will actually save you money in the end. My buddies Stealth Cam lasts a max of 8 days on 8 AA's in cold weather. He is starting to see that the $70 scouting camera wasn't such a great deal.

PABowhntr 01-22-2004 05:19 AM

BM,

Let me know how they turn out as I am planning on putting mine out this weekend.