Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many got busted this year? >

How many got busted this year?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many got busted this year?

Old 01-16-2004, 12:42 PM

Default RE: How many got busted this year?

I only got busted once that I know of. A doe came in behind me and caught my movement trying to turn around. Never been busted on scent in my hunting career of only 3 years.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:43 PM

Too many times to count for me. I was hunting a heavily pressured area. The deer start looking up when they are 50+ yards away. Managed to get 2 deer though.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:46 PM

Some deer snort when they bust someone.

What dies the wheeeeez represent? That's what the deer did to me.

Are the wheez and snort the same.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:46 PM

A bunch, but there were 3 does and a nice 9pt that weren't quite smart enough.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Come one NY we need to know so we don't do the same!
Good point!!

Well here it is. I was sitting on stand last day of bowseason. It was kind of windy and we just had a pretty good rain, so I decided I was going to try some still hunting. Also, it was a fairly new piece of land so I thought I'd poke around a little before gun season started.
I get down and walk to the edge of where the hardwoods meets a small cornfield. The field is narrow (30 yards) by about 300 yards long surrounde by woods on all 4 sides. The corn is weak and unpicked. Kinda the waist high thin stuff.
Anyway, I get to a little about 30 yards into the cornfield and notice movement way down. I look through the binos and sure enough. MONSTER!!! I mean a brute poking around with a doe. I watched them for a bit trying to formulate a plan. I figured there was no sense of me sitting and waiting cause it looked like they were heading away from me. I tried grunting a couple times. nothing.
So I'm off on my stealth mission. Perfect stalking conditions. Wind was perfect and ground was soft. I start walking down the right edge of the cornfield/woodline. Every time he put his head down I'd take a step or two then crouch.
Probably an hour or so later I'm within 75 of them. I had to lose sight for about 10 seconds at that point because of a little crest in the hill. When I broke the crest, there was the doe standing right on the edge staring right at me. I kinda got myself stuck in an uncomfortable positon when I noticed her. My feet were together and kind of crouching. I'm telling you this is the longest motionless standoff I've ever had. I must have stayed in that position for 15 minutes. She would not budge. I was rolling my eyes back and forth trying to keep an eye on the buck who was probably 30-40 yards away from her now. He had no clue what was going on.
I had enough of the standoff. I could barely stand anymore. I was about to fall over and my leg was asleep. I decided I have to move. So I look at the buck and slowly put my grunt tube in my mouth. I wait until the buck has his head back down and slowly kinda uncrouch myself in a half standing position and move my feet apart. I was hoping just enough to gently push her away without causing a rucuss. I figured I was done and the buck would follow. When I did that she started to slowly trot/walk off and I grunted softly. It worked!!! The buck looked at her then looked my way trying to decide what to do. He let her go on her way and was more interested in me!
Apparantely he wasn't too interested because after walking about 10 yards my way, he turned and started heading away again. That's fine, I've been succesfully sneaking up on him for about 2 hours now. So I go back to plan A. I continue my stealth mission. I get to about 50 yards and finally get a real good look at him. Unbelievable deer!! Biggest by far I've ever been a part of. Now my heart is going nuts realizing I'm going to get a shot at this guy. So I sat there for probably 10 minutes gathering my thoughts so I wouldn't make a mistake and rush things. This guy was in no hurry to go anywhere it was just a matter of me getting in a good enough position for a shot.
I go about 15 more yards on him (35 or so away now). There is an old small rotted tree that has fallen from the woods into the field. Sticking out into the field about 8 feet. The buck is still heading kind of at a diagonal away so I have to try and get around it. The whole time I was tucked close to the brush on the edge for cover and didn't really want to step out any further than I had to but I had no choice. He puts his head down again munching on some corn and I creep around the tree. I get to the tip of it and just start creeping back to the woodline and my pants knicked a corn tusk!!!!
His head whips around and gazing at me. I kind of duck behind the tusks of corn so he couldn't make me out. Another epic staredown!!! He sat there like the doe for about 10 minutes this time I'm not budging for anything. I clipped my release on figuring he may start heading my way. Then he started acting goofy. You know how you can tell they know something is up. His head starts swaying trying to pick me out. He starts walking off a little fast now so I grunt again. He stops dead and does a 180 looking back at me.
Now the amazing part is he starts stomping his feet and grunts 3 times at me. He starts heading at me, but not a little stroll. He looks like he wants to get it on with me. First time I've ever been in the position where a buck wanted to fight me. He wasn't stopping either. I really had no choice but to stand up a little above the corn. I get up and he's only 20 yards away but looking at me. No shot at all. He still continues to come toward me so I draw back almost in self defense I was about to shoot, but he had enough and figured out I was who I was and turned and let me know why they call them whitetails. That's what I saw running about mock 10 through the woods!!!
I really don't know what if anything I could have or would have done differently. I know one thing. If it wasn't for that tree hanging out I would have got him. So all in all I stalked this guy for 2 1/2 hours only to mess it up in the last 30 seconds. I was bummed. I sat on my butt for another hour thinking about it. Walked out after I realized it was pitch black out.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did a few times. When I get winded, it's usually those very warm, still, muggy days when your scent just settles around you. Also a couple of times going into the stand and a couple of times trying to see what that noise was behind me. Damn, that was a deer!!
Old 01-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did a few times. When I get winded, it's usually those very warm, still, muggy days when your scent just settles around you.
Yeah I got busted
Old 01-16-2004, 07:53 PM

No bull permit but I had a five by five at 40 yards for ten to fifteen minutes . . . he could never figure out what I was. Setting up events, I am an avid bicycler averaging over 300 miles a month and more exercise on top of that.

Going back to camp after the siting, I started having severe pain in my left leg. The following morning found me in the emergency room in a local hospital. The date was September 12.

After weeks of tests, MRI's CT Scans on December 8 th they found out what was wrong. On December 12 they did a four way bypass.

I look forward to drawing a bull permit this year and going back after that bull.

Talk about busted.

One piece of advice . . . don't pass out in a cardiac procedures lab . . . they might cut you from stem to stern.[]
Old 01-16-2004, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

I think we all got busted whether we know it or not.
I know I did, a few times that I know of and Im sure more that I dont know of.
Old 01-16-2004, 10:03 PM

If you hunted deer much his year it is not a question of whether you got busted but rather how many times and how many of those you were aware of.
I had the obvious where the deer do a lot of snorting and wheezing, but I observed many more instances that were subtle yet definite "busts" by deer that would catch wind 50-70 yards away and change course, or deer that would pick up scent where I had walked in as long as 2 hours beforehand and alter their course because of it. The more hunting experience I gain the more I notice and become aware that I am being busted where in the past I wouldn't have.

Quick Reply: How many got busted this year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.