Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you do any special excercises to strengthen your arms for bow hunting? >

Do you do any special excercises to strengthen your arms for bow hunting?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you do any special excercises to strengthen your arms for bow hunting?

Old 01-13-2004, 09:13 PM

Default Do you do any special excercises to strengthen your arms for bow hunting?

I have started to lift some light weights for bow hunting.
It helps me hold the bow longer and steadier.
Does anyone else do this & what do you do?
Old 01-13-2004, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you do any special excercises to strengthen your arms for bow hunting?

I started the year off in 2003 by commiting myself to due a minimum of 100 ab crunches and 100 pushups everyday. It made a world of difference , but nothing compared to strengthening your back muscles. Dumbells are an excellent way to work the back muscles. Now when I draw my bow it doesn't even seem to effect my arms at all. I can feel my chest muscles and back muscles working when I draw.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:04 PM

Default RE: Do you do any special excercises to strengthen your arms for bow hunting?

When I work shoulders at the gym I will finish by putting a single handle on the seated row pulley and mimic drawing my bow........I bring the handle right up to the corner of my mouth and hold being sure to pull with my rhomboids mostly(b/w shoulder blades).

I go heavy before season and do low reps (5) to get more strength. Off season I just use enough weight to do about 10 reps each arm to maintain.

Personally I think the best way to keep your shooting muscles toned is to shoot..........you use a lot of muscles that don't normally get called upon.

I do it because I want to shoot for as long as I can and I know a few people that ripped up shoulders shooting bows..........THAT SUCKS!!!
Old 01-14-2004, 08:05 AM

When I finnish shooting for the day I draw my bow one last time and hold it as long a humanly possible. This works well if you've already shot 40 or 50 arrows and are starting to get mussle fatigue.