HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   what state has best chance for trophy whitetail (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/49066-what-state-has-best-chance-trophy-whitetail.html)

ceasar 01-11-2004 06:52 PM

what state has best chance for trophy whitetail

Looking for the best state / county area to book a whitetail trophy hunt , no Game farms , just high quality free roaming.
Research thu far has shown Pike county Illinios ? anything better out there?

Jeff K 01-11-2004 07:05 PM

RE: what state has best chance for trophy whitetail

IL: Greene County, Pike, Adams, Calhoun, Will, Jo Daviess, and Lasalle!

WI: Buffalo County

Iowa: Southeast Iowa, and Northeast!

Beagle001 01-11-2004 07:55 PM

wisconsin anywer

Belle Island 01-11-2004 08:11 PM

It depends on how big you want!!

I think you stand a better chance of killing a B&C in Iowa. If you're looking for P&Y, I think Illinois is a good choice.

fishon01 01-11-2004 08:36 PM

OREGON..........not, sorry we only have 52 whitetail in our state:D.. goodluck.......fishon

drhuntr04 01-11-2004 09:20 PM

Nothin gets better than good old Peoria County, IL here!!!

stealthycat 01-12-2004 05:41 AM

I'd say Kansas #1 - simply awesome if you're in the right country. I saw some monsters in Iowa this fall ... and was driving through and they were by the interstate chasing does ! Iowa #2 and Missourri #3

Want my sleepers ? Kentucky (if you can call it a sleeper anymore), western Oklahoma and South Dakota. Of those 3 , western OK is tops. I've never hunted it, but its the same gene pool and lat/long pretty much as the Colorado plains whitetails and south/central Kansas bucks.

avid_bowhunter2005 01-12-2004 06:01 AM

Ohio: Adams, Muskingham, highland, ect.;)

rcd567 01-12-2004 09:41 AM

I'll tell you that Iowa does have some huge bucks, but that I own a small acreage, surrounded by thousands of acres of timber with crop land intermingled through out. Saw a great buck chasing does within a mile of my place on a county road. A couple weeks later, saw him dead along that same road as a fellow was cutting his head off. Hit by a pick up. Saw several small bucks but no shooters. During shotgun season I did see a buck that would score over 200, but he was 400 yards out on a dead run. The majority of huge bucks I've seen have been dead by the road.[:'(] Vehicles kill some of the best ones.

ahunter55 01-12-2004 10:10 AM

I had lived in Illinois since birth untill 7 years ago-now I live in Iowa right on Ill./Iowa border 30 min. from my Illinois Family. been a bowhunter since 1957 & took my 1st deer in Ill. in 1958. I also have travelled to Ws. to bowhunt since 1958 & up until a few years ago missed very few seasons. I have had shots at Trophy Bucks in all 3 states.
Now, over ALL these years of HARD BOWHUNTING every year I have 4 decent bucks BUT have almost every year had a chance at a wall hanger (P&Y).
I bowhunt private & public ground in Ill. & Iowa & only public in Ws..
I filmed a friend in Ill. this year & he took a 120- 8 point Buck on his 3rd day over 200 lbs. A TROPHY to him as his area of Maryland has a smaller deer. to us (residents), he was a nice Buck.
All 3 states have TROPHY Bucks. I have missed 1 buck this year & passed on forkys, 6s, 8s & 1 possible 125 10 point. Why? I am trying to top my biggest Buck b/4 I pass on to the Bowhunting grounds in the sky.
Any place in these 3 states hold a trophy-you just have to be lucky enough to be in that spot no matter how much you know about Deer hunting. I "SEE" them every year. I also filmed a friend Miss a 20 yard shot on a beautiful P&Y drop tine Buck in N. Ws. on PUBLIC ground. Saw 2 P&Y bucks from this stand in 3 days. Ill. is good almost anywhere-public or private. Iowa-get in line for preference points-Ws. is over the counter & a bargain for Non-residents AND lots of EXCELLENT public ground. Bowhunting North America Videos has a video/map package covering all 3 states for under $20 on public bowhunting 1-563-243-7877 Good Luck.