Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Practicing at short yardage - do any good? >

Practicing at short yardage - do any good?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Practicing at short yardage - do any good?

Old 01-10-2004, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Practicing at short yardage - do any good?

I can shoot in my basement at about 12-13 yards max. For the compound - think this will do me any good for longer ranges? For me, more times than not I am shooting in the field at 20-30 yards at a deer. Is this short distance shooting a waste of time (other than keeping the muscles in shape)?

I'm going to post the same question on the traditional site to, but if you have any input for instictive shooting at this distance, same question applies. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:24 AM
tm
Fork Horn

Default RE: Practicing at short yardage - do any good?

I shoot a lot at the distances you mentioned, also in my basement. The thing I've noticed is I get good arrow flight and patterning at this distance it'll be good at further distances. Often at further distances the fletching has more time to correct tuning or setup inaccuracies.
I print some reduced size targets for realistic practice, & it does help to keep score. Helps you realize when you're doing something wrong or something has changed. If you don't want to keep score with an actual target 3/4" dots work well for me.
Just remember to keep it SAFE!!!!!
Old 01-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is great practice to help with form and concentration. Ever notice how easy it is to just pull up and shoot at close range? It looks so easy, that close. If you take it seriously, you will improve.
Old 01-10-2004, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

It definitely helps you build confidence and perfect your form, any practice is better than none.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just be carefull. One time years ago I was trying to shoot a release for the first time and it was in my basement. I shot a arrow in my wifes brand new washer. [] That was a tuff one to explain

Hatchet Jack
Old 01-11-2004, 12:45 AM
pup

yeah i shoot in my basement too just shoot at real small targets. when im using my target bow down there ill shoot at tacks that makes it a chalenge[:-][]
Old 01-11-2004, 12:56 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot diagonally in my basement and it is 16.5 yards. I shoot from a metal folding chair. I find that this is excellent practise and that I can go from this to 3-d comps and do real well. It is more than adequate for hunting. I think that the ability to practise on a consistent basis is the biggest benefit.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:48 AM
Dominant Buck

I once shot for 2 months, every day at a range of no more than 8 feet. It made me a much better shooter. That was when I was learning to overcome target panic and was shooting blind bales. It'll tune the muscles, body and mind and make you a predator to be feared. Was it Nick Bacl......... that used to say "Aim small.... miss small". Form, muscle memory and fitness can all be helped greatly. Work up some games to avoid boredom.... trace a star with arrows at the points and valleys, draw a line verticle and horizontal and try to see how many arrows you can string on the lines without a miss .... all kinds of games. You'll be so ready when you step outside in the spring they'll think you been cheatin'. As far as compound or instinctive or trad... it doesn't matter. Perfect practice makes perfect. Instinctive trad shooters become good instinctive shooters by starting at FEET... not yards.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:51 AM

You bet I do!!Shooting at short distances has helped me in mant ways.I'm talking five feet to thirty feet.Davidmil brings up an excellant post on this...Bob
Old 01-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

Yup, it'll help.

Quick Reply: Practicing at short yardage - do any good?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.