Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 COUGAR Encounters Anyone??? >

COUGAR Encounters Anyone???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

COUGAR Encounters Anyone???

Old 01-10-2004, 10:16 AM

Default COUGAR Encounters Anyone???

Just read the story about the women in Cal. who was attacked by a 110# cougar, she was rescued, unfortunately,earlier in the day, the cougar attacked a man in which they believe was working on his bike. They found his half eaten body nearby.
Just curious as to how many hunters have ever had a cougar\mountain lion encounter?
My brother and I was bowhunting for elk and we were cow and calf calling back and forth, I heard a low growl in the trees, and it gave me goosebumps down my neck, I quickly jumped up and climbed up to the logging road. My brother joined me and said "what was that noise?", I said, "I don't want to find out, but lets get out of here!" I've been hunting for over 25yrs and have never heard that type of a growl in the woods and don't care to again by any means!
To this day I still don't know for sure if it was a cougar, but I'll always wonder.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:32 AM

Default RE: COUGAR Encounters Anyone???

I think you made the correct assumption on it being a cougar. Also believe you were wise to leave the area. If it was a cougar you were a bit on the defensive if all you were packing was a bow/arrows & knife!
Old 01-10-2004, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a cougar approach me as I cow called a few years ago. I had my clothing drenched in elk urine. The only thing I had was my bow with me. Two years later I had another cougar approach me. It sure made a nice rug on my wall as this time I had a tag for one. It seemed like for a few years there I had too many encounters with bears and cougars. I went face to face with a bear that we call Tank in between these years only to go around the bend and have another bear stand up in front of me out of a Huckleberry patch. The bears I have learned how to handle but the cougars are always an unknown. I dont trust them. I know it hurts like hell when a housecat puts the death grip on your leg. I can only imagine what a cougar feels like. If I ever do get attacked I know that my best chance of survival is to get face down and lock my fingers behind the back of my neck. A cougar kills by suffocation. They have learned to collapse the wind pipe and deprive their prey of oxygen. As for the growl you heard, it sounds like a cougar. I have heard their sounds a couple of times. It sounds like a all-star wrestler getting ready to jump on you from the ropes. I myself would not feel deprived if I never heard this again. Kinda puts a new twist on bowhunting when you become the hunted.[]
Old 01-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

So far I have never seen one in the wild. Seen a few tracks here and there but that's about it.

If all I had was a knife and a bow I'd be one stabbing fool if I ever was attacked, Hopefuly anyway.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:36 PM

I havnt yet but 3 years ago my wifes uncle was while he was bowhunting. Luckly his buddy was close by and had a pistol with him. Although we werent suppose to carry firearms while bow hunting. But that law changed this year thankfully. I will always have my pistol with me now. And I am still looking for that rug to put on my floor too. I always have a tag too.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

rumour has it there may be some in pennsylvania
Old 01-10-2004, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think that those are just rumors about cougars in PA. I know some biologists from when I lived in NY and we had them there. It wasnt far from the PA border. I dont think that there is a sizable population however they are there.
Old 01-10-2004, 06:19 PM

elkcrazy where along the n.y. pa. border did you live ? i live not far from the border in sullivan co. n.y. and the rumor is that we have them . but the d.e.c. wont admit to their presance
Old 01-10-2004, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never had a cougar try to come after me.

I have seen two wild cougars in my life. The first one was in unit # 17 in the Selway in Idaho. Walked right past me at 15 yards. He was a huge tom. He never saw me, and I never blinked until he was well past!

Second cat sighting was in Illinois of all places. The ILDNR says they do not exist. I say....at least one does!
Old 01-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

mtair
I actually lived in rochester but spent about half of my time around Hornell. I used to hunt over by Portville alot also. I know of cougars that were moved and released around the Avoca- Cohocton area with reported spottings all over that part of the country. I cut my teeth on hunting in Elkland an Osceola on the PA side. Wasn't old enough to pack a real gun yet but put lots of mileage on that old cap gun. I moved back there for a few years and couldnt stand to be away from the rockies any more. Clean mtn air and bugling elk. Not to mention that 75% of the land is publically owned. Just remember, the same entity that told us that the thruway fees were temporary are telling you that there aren't any cougars. They were telling us the same thing here about the wolves when I had been seeing them. Now the damn things are everywhere. Can't wait until they delist them things. Then we can shoot em with our bows.

Quick Reply: COUGAR Encounters Anyone???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.