Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ever lost the desire to hunt? >

ever lost the desire to hunt?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ever lost the desire to hunt?

Old 01-09-2004, 09:27 AM

Default ever lost the desire to hunt?

i was just wandering if you have ever seemed to lost the desire to hunt? I just kindof lost the enthusiasm the last half of the year and since the end of season the thought as been running across my mind of selling my bow. I don't know i wasn't able to connect with one this year and maybe it is more frustration than anything. i recon i'll just hang in there and see how i feel in august.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ever lost the desire to hunt?

click I have never lost it entirely, however I will say after killing a big bodied 7 pointer this year the drive to hunt more was really low this year, as a matter of fact I went 2 whole weeks without going into the woods after I killed him and then I didn't hunt the last day of the season because it was real warm and I didn't want to have to kill and butcher a deer all in the same day. Now if I had been skunked I would have been out there.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:44 AM

I didn't get a deer for 5 years and I almost never seen one this year until thanksgiving. Just wait, maybe god has a monster buck in store for you in the future.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:20 AM

Click, there have been times I didn't really want to go hunting. But that normally doesn't last very long.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:22 AM

I have been in my stand, and because I did not feel in the groove, I got down and went home for the day. However, going on 40 years, I have never thought about not bowhunting.

There has been times when I have hunted some very tough areas and went deerless for the season. Nevertheless, I have never had a bad or fruitless bowhunting season.

I don't (yet) know what the feeling of a diminishing desire to bowhunt is like, but if you have lost interest and cannot get it (completely) back, you would be making the right decision to take a sabbatical. Deer hunting is not as complicated as some make it; however, from staying in form, the season prep, the hunt, and taking the kill to butcher, can be mentally and physically demanding if your heart is not in it.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:32 AM

Our season is so long (first weekend of Oct. to last day of Jan.) that there are periods where I have a hard time getting motivated to get out. But overall I'm addicted to the sport & can't imagine ever giving it up completely.

Click, there's nothing wrong with hanging your bow up for a while. But let us know how you feel as the season approaches next year. It's hard to not get excited around that time.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:44 AM

i think maybe the warm weather at the end of the season got to me. and got my mind on other things. i would consider myself a pretty diehard hunter hunting at least 3 times a week and not knowing walmart carried anything besides hunting stuff. it was a good year saw lots of deer but just none big enough(yearlings) or close enough. I think instead of loosing the desire to hunt i just kind of gave in and let them win the battle for this year. I was hunting a new place with some other guys and all together only shot 1 doe. they walk and hollar and screw up everything, so i think more than loss of interest i think it is more discouragement.

But i know in a few weeks it will all be memories and i'll be back in the yard shooting that HOYT!

thanks fellas
Old 01-09-2004, 10:50 AM

Click,

I have been there on more than one occasion. Did some deep soul searching a few times over hunting. A couple of those time came after lost deer, and some have come simply because I do not enjoy killing animals. Tends to lead to an internal conflict.

But I have always come back - and usually a better hunter for it.

We all get burnt out a bit after a long tough season. Take a break - do some sheding if you like and just forget about last season.

If its still in you - it will let you know

Good Luck
Old 01-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

My season started Aug.15th for antelope and big game was open until the end of Dec. I never stopped. At the end of 18 straight days of elk hunting in Sept. I wasn't sick of it but had trouble getting my legs to work. I killed my elk on the first weekend but couldn't get enough so I bought another tag. Our camp hauled out 6 this year. 3 on horses and 3 on our backs. When I die I will be scattered up there at elk camp so I never have to leave again. That bow is going to make a hell of a bang when they burn it with me........
Old 01-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Actually I dated a girl for 2 1/2 years, she got pissed that I hunted so much. I was around 18 or 19 at the time. She said all I wanted to do was hunt. She was right. So she left me and I got rid of most of my gear being stupid. I have been out of hunting for about 2 years. Now I am back at the age of 22. I am getting ready to get married in june. She loves that I have something that I love doing. She wont go hunting with me but she accepts the fact that this is my life. She just cant wait till season is over. Just if you do get tired of it don;t sell your gear. It cost so much to get back into hunting. I mean buying the guns, bow, clothes, etc. But I can never see myself being out of hunting again.

Quick Reply: ever lost the desire to hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.