Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Question for you GPS Freaks and Experts >

Question for you GPS Freaks and Experts

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question for you GPS Freaks and Experts

Old 01-08-2004, 05:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Question for you GPS Freaks and Experts

So my son bought me a GPS for Xmas. He just got me a BASIC one called the Garmin eTrex Personel Navigator. He bought it at Bass Pro Shop. Yes I gave him hell and told him he was suppose to buy it at Lens. Anyway, I've got it. Before I open this puppy and break the seal, I'm wondering if I should upgrade. I know absolutely NOTHING about them. I know some have a lot more features. I sincerely doubt it'll get much use..... but I can put it to work in the NY woods and Adirondacks. So basically it'll be used "A LITTLE". Anyone know anything about this thing. Would it be smart to upgrade and pay a little more to acquire a couple more features. IF so, give me some choices and recommendations and "Why Fores". This one doesn't have many bobbles to it. I think it was like $129 on sale for $99 or something like that. I'd be willing to plunk in another $100 or so if it would be of advantage. I'd like to beable to store some points in NY and Maryland for later use and next year etc.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question for you GPS Freaks and Experts

If you really don't intend to use it that much this one is probably fine. If you are not interested enough to become expert or at least competent in its use, do yourself a favor and take it back and trade it for something you might enjoy more. If you decide to keep it and want to upgrade before learning, go to www.garmin.com and compare the features on their various units. DO NOT repeat DO NOT buy anything directly from them because they are available at much better prices in other places. Contact me if you would like to discuss features you might be interested in, or akbound or cdr4thBn or dave590. dave590 has also written a very nice book on the subject that you may be interested in if you do decide to keep it or trade up.
Good luck

Coastie
Old 01-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

David, sounds to me like the model you have -Garmin
etrex -should be a good fit for you. I've had one for
several years now and it does everything I need. I
use it mostly when I go bowhunting out west, marking
waterholes, landmarks, and it really comes in handy
when I get twisted around in the mountains[&:].

This particular model picks up satellites very well,
and most importantly, it's simple to use.
I've seen some GPS models that do everything
but brush your teeth...problem is it takes too long
to figure out how to make them usefull[][:@].

Run a 'Search' on etrex or Garmin eTrex. I think
you'll see quite few satisfied owners.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Hey David, I think calling myself a "GPS Freak" might
be stretching things a bit.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:57 PM

If you don't mind plunking down another $100, go for it. Once you play a GPS with maps loaded on it, you might just find out how much fun and useful they can be.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

For another 50 bucks you can get the Etrex Legend from amazon.com. Free shipping too. More bells and whistles, and many of them are pretty useful. The legend has built in maps that are pretty cool for road trips. Go to the garmin site and compare the various Etrex units and see if you think upgrading will be prudent.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:39 PM
Fork Horn

I've never met you but I kind of know you from the boards. My guess is you're not one to go walking through the woods with your head down looking at the GPS so you can find your treestand.

I use mine to mark landmarks, sign etc then take those coordinates back and plot them on a map to get the big picture. My GPS has also helped me confirm I'm going the right way in the dark a couple times. Any GPS has the ability to mark and name coordinates.

If you'd like some bobbles like topo maps on your GPS display or maybe street maps then you might want to spring for a plus'd up version. More than likely yours has the ability to download maps to it. The map software can cost as much as the GPS unit though.

I say stick with what you've got and enjoy the gift.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the last statement. I'm a old GPS user and have never needed all this stuff there is out. The only thing I wish I had was maybe the back route map and thats all. I see too many of the guys with newer updated modles. playing around try to understand them...BT
Old 01-09-2004, 04:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Hmmmmmm... I'm still confused. The problem is, I never would have bought one of these things myself. Then you start talking Backroutes etc and I'm wondering. I guess there's no easy way about it.... a little research.[:'(]
Old 01-09-2004, 05:14 AM
Banned

The thing that makes a GPS so great is you don't have to have the slightest idea where you are in order to go between point A and point B. Myself I like walking around aimlessly. You'd be surprised how much easier it is to scout new territory when you don't have to be overly concerned with where you've been or where you're going. End of the day just hit "go to" back to your vehicle. Then put all the interesting places you've bumped into into a log or on a map so you can visualize where you've been and be able to predict patterns. S

Quick Reply: Question for you GPS Freaks and Experts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.