Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunt downwind or buy all the fancy scent free stuff? >

Hunt downwind or buy all the fancy scent free stuff?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunt downwind or buy all the fancy scent free stuff?

Old 01-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunt downwind or buy all the fancy scent free stuff?

I don`t care what kind of gear you have on. always use the wind in your faver. thaire is nothing man made.that can fool those nose`s you can get away with one seeing you sometimes and you can get away with some noise! but not that nose.use a cover sent like coon or somthing on your boot. but always try to stay down wind! I been bowhunting for over 24 years. and i have had a lot of them threw the years wind me.now the wid is one of the first thing i check out before hunting a specific stand!
Old 01-08-2004, 03:39 PM

Need a pusher Nic Barca? I went scouting today in Rochester, NY. 10" of white stuff, about 15 degrees before wind chill. No pigs seen, just deer. I hunted wild boar for 4 years on the Island of Sardinia. Pusher ready to help! I might even thaw out by the time I touch down at Kilauea.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

BOTH
Old 01-08-2004, 04:35 PM
AK

I have serious doubts as to the actual effectiveness of charcoal suits, particularly after they've been worn a few times. Such marketing marvels are certainly not requirements for getting within bow range of whitetails. Regardless, the idea of wearing an outfit that absorbs scent runs outside the realm of what I consider sporting. Like Jimpok61, I enjoy playing the wind and pitting my wits against theirs. When a deer does smell me, I consider it to be part of the game. When I take one on their level, the reward is sweet and pure.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:47 PM

I'LL TELL YOU WHAT EVER SINCE I STARTED TPO WEAR SCENTBLOCKER I HAVE YET TO BE WINDED, THIOS YEAR IN BOW SEASON I HAD TWO BUCKS DOWN WIND OF ME AT 15 YARDS AND NEVER WINDED ME OR KNEW I WAS THERE I AM A FIRM BELIEVER IN THE STUFF I WILL NEVER GO ARCHERY HUNTING WITHOUT IT.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:58 PM

I don't spen a ton of money on sent cover. I'll wash my clothing and bathe with sent free soap then I use BA Acorn Sent and spray it all over everything. (I'm one big ass walking acorn). If you take the spray with you and about every hour or so spray a lil extra on it works very well. Had one deer come by at about 10 yards I was kneeling down on the side of a field when she came out and she never noticed me. I wasen't even down wind at the time. I wouldnt spend a fortune for cover sent stuff. Your gonna stink it's just a matter of what you want to stink like. lol Besides I'd rather smell like a big acorn than big ...well you know. [:'(]

Old 01-08-2004, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

How do all of you get the wind to stay the same all day while in the stand.I hunt in hills and hollars and there is NO WAY you can tell wich way the wind will blow from 1 minute to the next.(it swirls)Maybe that is why I have been seing so many deer since moving into these types of locations.The wind is always in their favor.The place I am hunting now does have the most spooked deer I have ever encountered and actually getting a bow drawn is next to impossible but I am trying.Hunting pressure and dogs are the reason,that is why I don't hunt a stand more than once or twice a week.

I do believe in scent controll but not neccesarily scent lock suits.Washing your clothes and taking a bath in scent free soaps are a must imo.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:26 PM

Charlie,

Yes, this year I didn't see the amount of deer that I normally do, but I wouldn't say that it was because they got spooked by my scent. I hunted alot of areas where the wind was good, and some areas where the wind wasn't so good. Like I said, I spray down with scent killer, but, I don't go to the extremes that alot of guys do. This has always worked for me in the past. Also, the deer I did see never winded me.

The areas that I hunt aren't your typical situations. My favorite patch of woods is surrounded by houses on two sides, a prison on one side, and a airport on the other. This patch of woods is probablly less than 40 acres in size and these deer just aren't as cautious as most others. On the side where the airport is, there is a softball field. During the summer, deer will come out and feed in the field while these guys are playing softball. These deer are probablly only around 75 yards away from these people.

One thing is that I didn't get in nearly as much scouting this year as I normally do. I had trail cameras set-up and I did get out a few times to look around, but, it wasn't nearly as in depth as I normally scout.

In all the years that I have been archery hunting, I have only ever been winded while hunting probablly two or three times. Like I said though, I wouldn't recommend this style to everyone, but it has worked for me. I just go out and hunt, it makes it much more enjoyable than worrying about if the wind is from the SE or the N
Old 01-09-2004, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

BM,
You have only been winded 2 or 3 times--THAT YOU ARE AWARE OF[]
Old 01-09-2004, 08:12 AM

Both.

Quick Reply: Hunt downwind or buy all the fancy scent free stuff?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.