HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   hunting gear made 100% in the United States. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/48658-hunting-gear-made-100-united-states.html)

bigbulls 01-07-2004 10:49 PM

hunting gear made 100% in the United States.

Coming from an idea from Tfox on the "U.S.A. products" thread.

Why don't we all do a little research and see what hunting gear is actually made 100%, from start to finish, in the U.S.A. and then list them here.

Also list any products that are made enywhere else and where they are made.

I'll post as soon as I gat a bit of a list together.

Kanga 01-07-2004 10:53 PM

RE: hunting gear made 100% in the United States.

I will start.

ASAT.
Bowtech.

bigbulls 01-07-2004 11:20 PM

At least as far as i know:

Muzzy
magnus
slick trick
NAP
Easton (for now at least)
Parker bows
Winners Choice strings

http://home.comcast.net/~americanfir...e/firearms.htm

BOWFANATIC 01-07-2004 11:29 PM

Mathews
CAP (Carolina Archery Products)

I can dig up more when I dig thru my stuff at home.

As for products made elsewhere?

I stopped using Carbon Express arrows for that reason! I dont remember off hand where their made.

Arthur P 01-07-2004 11:34 PM

My selfbows.;) Unfortunately, the wood in the riser of my recurves and longbow came from South America.

Speaking of raw materials... which is where you actually START from... did you know the aluminum in your compound risers and cams is NOT domestic? The U.S. produces less than 1% of the bauxite (aluminum ore, if you will) that we use each year, and most of what we do produce is used to make abrasives. That's why recyling aluminum is so important. The forged magnesium riser is what you're looking for. The US produces all the magnesium we need.

But then you'll have to chase down the source for the steel used to make the screws, bolts and axles in your bow. Might be domestic steel but it might just as easily be imported. And those pesky cams, rests, sights, arrow shafts/inserts, broadhead ferrules, releases... all those things that are made out of aluminum... what are we gonna do about all that stuff?

Hate to rain on the Made in the USA parade, but anything that's got aluminum in it is not entirely 100% USA made, start to finish.

BOWFANATIC 01-08-2004 12:12 AM

Arthur

I was going to touch on that subject , but didn't see the need. Your right , even most american bow companies get certain parts from overseas , sometimes out of necessity.But the ones that keep their operations in the good ol USA are the ones we're interested in. If a company has to build their product by using SOME imports I can certainly understand that. When a company moves it's operations overseas for cheap labor to bolster their profit margin while charging the American consumers the same price then I have a problem with them and their product.
Your not raining on anyones parade , but thanks for pointing it out.

Arthur P 01-08-2004 06:36 AM

Yeah, I knew I was going off on a little tangent from the intent of the thread, Doug, but you have to consider where the materials/parts come from when you talk 'start to finish.' Take offshore parts, assemble them here and Voila! "Made in USA"

bigbulls 01-08-2004 05:12 PM

Your right Arthur, there is probably nothing that is actually made in the U.S.A. from start to finish. If we could find the ones that are at least mostly made in the US that would be a good start.

Two Beards 01-08-2004 06:29 PM

Gray Wolf Woolins

zak123 01-08-2004 07:02 PM

Well at an archery shop I saw the Crimson Talon and the package said made in USA and had a flag one it.