Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What parts do you eat??? >

What parts do you eat???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What parts do you eat???

Old 01-03-2004, 11:41 PM

Default RE: What parts do you eat???

Well I to love the neck I never waist it.

we have one guy in our club who is from Romania I believe. He's been in the states about 2 years. When he cleans his deer he lays it out on a tarp and removes and lays out all the organs nice and neatly and wraps everything up individually. About the only thing he doesnt take are the hooves. Even breaks up bones to put in soup stock. Personally I couldnt do it but I admire the fact that he uses everything that is edible much like the indians did.
Ok now that is hardcore dont know if I could do that but that reminds me about those fish eyes that I ate. I learned that from this eskimo kid in the Marines with me. We went trout fishing and cooked the fish right there on the shore. First off we cleaned them and I had this female with little egg sacks, and as normal I tossed them. Man he jumped down my throat for it so the next female I showed to him he reached the eggs out and ate em. So I tried it not too bad really. Then after we cooked them he sucked the eyes out of their heads so I tried that dont really care for those too much, but good to know its edible for just in case situations
Old 01-04-2004, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was over to a friends house once, and had supper with their family. They were serving venison from a recently shot deer. I thought cool, sounds great. We had steaks, liver, heart. Then when that was finished off the wife asked if anyone wanted the pickled deer tongue now. I said ah no thanks for me, but they ate it!!!!
Old 01-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

Tongue is another part I thought about trying. If I get a chance to fill another tag this year Im gonna get the brains and the tongue. Just to try it
Old 01-04-2004, 02:28 PM

Hmmmm never thought about tongue and had never heard of anyone eating it. I know people eat cow tongue though.

And as far as the brains go I dont know if I can make myself to that one again. The squirrel brains I had tasted just like the meat did but man the texture was just nasty.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:15 PM

man yall are sick. i can understand the liver or whatever. but the day im so hungry that i suck an animals charred eyeballs from its skull is the day i starve to death do yall eat the intestines too? while they are full or empty???[X(]
Old 01-04-2004, 03:30 PM

I know of folks who take a moose head and remove the tongue (for stuffed roasted tongue), the brain ( for moose brain stew). Once the brain and tongue are removed they throw the remainder of the head into a campfire. Once its cooked and charred for quite a while they peel off the outer layer and eat the fleshy part of the nose. To each there own but........that is NASTY!!!!!

Chris
Old 01-04-2004, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

I would stay away from the brains, spinal tissue and limph nodes. This is the parts of the deer that carry CWD. You never know where this disease may show up next.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:08 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Eat the meat. Don't eat innerds. NO BRAINS FOR ME.

DPV
Old 01-05-2004, 12:47 AM

When I go on hunting trips with my friends, they often cook up the goat liver and hearts. They are a great quick tender meat source while in the mountains but I prefered to eat them with BBQ sauce. I could eat them forever with the BBQ sauce but without, the different taste get to me after a couple livers. But I don't go out of my way to save them for myself.

One time I had shot a small pig and was skinning it on the side of the trail and got to talking with an Italian woman who was hiking. She told me that back in Italy, they like to eat the toung. She explained to me how they prepare it. Appearently it requires a long process. I think she said they like just about everything. Toung, brain, kidneys, intestine, liver, heart, I think the stomach too.

Alot of the filipinoes who live here in Hawaii like to eat goat. They burn the fur off with a blowtorch and kook the whole animal. Somehow they eat the stomach too. I think it's filled with rice when they eat it. Not sure how they do that. Fish eyes are very popular too. In fact they like certain fish almost just for the eyes. I never did like the eyes tho. I always eat the cheak meat on fish. Using the head in soup (fish head soup) is also very popular here, bones as well. Another popular filipino dish (or at least I think it's filipino) is to use pig blood and cook meat and vegetables in them. I've had it at chicken fights but I never did like it much.

Does anyone know, is it true that you can use intestines as packages for sausage? Is it safe?? What are commercial sausage packages made out of?