Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 where do u shoot >

where do u shoot

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

where do u shoot

Old 01-01-2004, 08:50 AM
TWC

Default RE: where do u shoot

Excellent pic David.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I aim right behind the point of the shoulder like the pic's got it marked, but I'd wait to shoot until the near side leg is forward instead of back.
Old 01-01-2004, 10:34 AM

The heart.

Here is three pics from the three I killed this year. All three are different hearts from three different deer.

Old 01-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

davidmil-do u shoot a recurve
Old 01-01-2004, 11:12 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: CLOUD 9, MN

I always try to take out the lungs. In fact if I don't have a good high percentage lung shot, I don't shoot!

I agree 100%. I think many guys take shots they shouldn't based on stories I hear on this forum of wounded deer and from what I have seen at the meet processor(deer hanging in the freezer.) If I don't have a shot 25 yards or less, broadside, where I can get a good double lung shot, I let em walk. Lord willing, he'll back another day!

Excellent pic Davidmill.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

How did you get that deer to stand still like that while you painted him david? I like to shoot right where david pointed out. Better lower than the equator than higher IMO. I've been trying to shake my buddy of his placement selection. He claims to shoot higher than I do. He's seen too many diagrams and 3D targets that aren't exactly accurate in my opinion. You have to remember it's not a drawing. It's a living animal and there's some weight sagging those organs down when it's walking around.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:19 AM

Davidmil,
I think hunting from the ground, your red dot is perfect. However, hunting from a tree stand 20-22 feet up, depending on how far out the deer is, thus a steeper angle, shot placement would be slightly higher. Very good illustration though.
Old 01-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

The spot Davidmil showed you. If its within 25 yards I shoot just above and just behind the elbow. I'll shoot out to 40 but then shoot to center chest.[8D]
Old 01-01-2004, 12:41 PM

DOUBLE LUNG, OR HEART, MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE IS THE HEART SHOT.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree Swampdog, that's why I stated something about depending on how high etc. The higher the angle the higher the aim point. This was one of my yard deer. I was so excited to see him at midday in the lawn I didn't hold the camera still. I have on a couple occasions with really nervous or alert deer aimed right at the belly line behind the shoulder. If the deer didn't drop I miss or get a graze across the bottom. Every time I thought the unorthodox shot was called for I got center plum hits. Just like a Hollywood script. I said they'd drop and they did. The spot I marked is WHAT I want to hit, not always where I aim. And again, the higher up you go the spot should move, unless the deer is out there at 30-40 yards and then it becomes more like shooting from ground level. When the deer gets to 30 plus I tend to aim more center of mass to give me more margin for range estimation errors.

I have some of those too Dan B.

Quick Reply: where do u shoot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.