Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

U.S.A. products

Old 12-30-2003, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: U.S.A. products

To keep this in the bowhunting forum, there are some quality carbons made overseas(I didn't say best). I wouldn't have a problem even buying a bow from England(Merlin), because it was never made here in the first place.

Toyotas and some other foreign brands are good trucks BUT, it is widely recognized and accepted that American auto manufacturers have caught up! As far as quality, check out your foreign made boots and hunting clothes..........they suck!!! But people buy it because its cheap and some hunters can only afford cheap. Take Rocky boots for example...they make high quality boots in the U.S., but they are high in price. They also import cheaper boots to the U.S., and yes they are cheap made too! We get what we pay for is still true today. Buy cheap and 99% of the time it is cheap!
Old 12-31-2003, 06:59 AM

I have a different spin on it.....Hunter men and women don't usually seem to fall into this category, but what if "America" in other words"Bleeding Heart Liberals" or Politicians would stop throwing $$ into oversea's countries and re-invested that $$ into our own economy, everything would be much better.

Where and how did it ever start that every other countries problems, seem to be our problems???????????? If I have all of this correct, sometime in June, MN is slated to receive a very large group of (not 100% sure on the #) Cambodian's, Hmong(once again, not really sure on the country they are coming from, but it doesn't really matter) from some type of "war" camp. All because of some Bleeding Heart Liberal Lutheran group wants them here. Now I am certainly not saying that I think that the "war" camp is a good place to be, but why am I now going to be responsible to pay for them to live here???????? I have to pay for them to speak English, pay for them to live here, to go to our public schools, pay for them to get police protection, etc, etc......all off of MY HARD EARNED MONEY. Where's the sanity???? It just pisses me off to no end, that it is just assumed that I or many others want this to happen or are willing to pay for this. I and many others have no choice in the matter. Our "great" welfare system...what a joke!!! Why do you think we get stuck with all of them? Because my glorious state, has the best welfare system in the country.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I'll keep buying American cars and major ticket items... simply because they aren't foreign. All my American cars etc have been fine vehicles and held up well with the exception of one Buick lemon. It was a company car and spent 7 of it's first 13 months in the shop. We then got rid of it, but I'll keep buying American. As far as the rest of the "do-dads"... I'll buy what works best for me whether it be foreign or American made.... unless it's French.... then I don't buy it.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

davidmill,that is exactly the problem.Those doodads add up to about a 12.6 billion dollar deficit with china.That is a lot of people out of work.I know that those doodads are getting increasingly harder to find that are made in the U.S. and most of those doodads are American companies that have shipped there operations overseas.

We just keep coming out on the short end.If our politicians would wake up and get some legislation passed that would put some tarrifs on this stuff,then we would start to see a few more companies stay at home.Think about what that would do for the economy and the job market.We would be booming again and trade would be working for both parties instead of just one.It would keep our prices competitive and we could still earn a living.NOVEL CONCEPT ISN'T IT.This is exactly what was done with Japan and has worked out well for both.That is why they make so many Toyotas in this country now.Heck,there are 2 Toyota plants within 2 hours of my house.We trade many other items with them and they are still able to make cars there too.Keeps prices competitive and jobs in both countries.Of course for this to be possible,the dollar has to be worth close to the same,not like it is with china.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:11 PM

TFOX, I'm with you 100%
Side note, TFOX do you now where Crittenden county is. That's where I do most of my deer hunting.[:-]
Old 12-31-2003, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

DO I,that is the best hunting in the state.

I used to hunt in Mattoon in Crittenden,I actually still have a camper there that is at my friends grandparents house.His grandmother got sick and senile and I lost my hunting rights there but I hope to be back in next year.She has since past away but I am not going to ask untill some time has passed,don't want to seem like a vulture just sitting and waiting for her to pass.

I hope to be back in because I had about 400 acres that I was the only one they allowed to bowhunt,now no one is allowed to bowhunt.The quality of the bucks was unbelievable too.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:26 PM

As long as it worx good ill use it
Old 01-07-2004, 05:49 AM

We need to look at this realistically. We can boycott products, but will that affect anything? I suggest that it won't unless you can get the whole country to do it, and that is very unlikely. In fact, I doubt you could get 10% of consumers to go along. It simply won't work in virtually all situations. Companies move their operations overseas for one simple reason - to stay in business. Competition demands that they continually try to save money. Labor rates in these "third-world" countries is where the greatest savings occurs. Most of these companies would go out of business if they didn't move overseas, and I'm sure they are counting on the fact that only a small percentage will boycott their products because of this. To them, it won't matter since they won't survive here anyway.

The only true help will come from the American government. Tariffs on foreign made products would level the playing field. It would also greatly reduce competition and quality of US made products would suffer. Take your pick. Just realize that boycotting companies will not work. You need to lobby the politicians to enact legislative change. That is the only thing that will work.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Straightarrow,I agree with you BUT with forums like this providing a little education,we can all start to lobby.Boycotting will help if you do get 10%.Think about it,10% of 250,000,000 people is a whole bunch of people.

People like me are starting to make a difference.I have seen more on tv news programs and newspaper articles over the last year than I had in the previous 4 years.So the tide is starting to turn but we need to stay on the politicians AND the American people to make a difference.This has been a problem for the tool industry in a MAJOR way for about the last 5 years and is starting to show up in many other industries.

I am not sure if I believe the stuff about the companies going out of buisness.I believe it is a matter of sheer greed and the bottom line, BUT the biggest problem with their theory is the more companies that do this the more people out of work(sure it works for a while) and the fewer people that have the money to buy THEIR products.This causes a DECREASE in sales and then they must keep the prices up to try and make up the difference.This is where we are at now.Then all those people out of work are not paying as much in taxes and neither are the companies because there products are made overseas and their sales are down.

You can see the neverending spiral this causes and with a little education,maybe things will start to swing back to supporting the American work force instead of slapping it in the face.

Like I have stated many times,I am not against trade and really think it can be a good deal for all involved,it just isn't fair at this point in time and really needs to be equalized.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:27 PM

My opinion is that if it CAN be made here then it SHOULD be made here. The only imported goods should be goods that we cannot produce and therefore trade for. But we know it will never be this way.
I personally will buy a product because it is made in the USA. If I cannot find an American made product then I will settle for foreign. It is getting harder to find American made products. I like quality products and will pay extra if I have to. I want it to last. I will buy that product again if it is good. Many companies now are sacrificing quality for quantity.
Half of the sad truth is that the politicians don't care because they are going to do what the big moneymakers tell them. The moneymakers have lost any sense of patriotism that they may have had over the years. All that matters to them is the almighty buck. They'll move their company if they can gain a profit from it. To hell with the workers who lose their jobs and cannot find a new one.
The other half of the sad truth is that the younger generation is a 'throw-away' generation. As long as they can replace their merchandise cheaply with a new one then they don't care where it comes from. Their only concern is making themselves happy. It's me, me me. Who cares about you?
The bottom line is money - it IS the root of all evil.

When and IF I get to purchase new hunting (archery) equipment I will definitely be looking at the label.
We need to help our neighbors by educating ourselves and our friends on the importance of spending our dollars at home first.

Quick Reply: U.S.A. products

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.