HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Crimson Talon (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/47463-crimson-talon.html)

Kyle3 12-27-2003 08:17 PM

Crimson Talon

Hey guys, tonight I got my second doe of the year with the crimson talon head. I shoot 100 grain crimson talons with a 29'' pse 400 series carbon arrow out of my hoyt. I am just writing to say how dissapointed I was with the head. I am never buying another pack again. The shot tonight was at 2 yards and you guys won't be very pleased with my shot selection but it was a humane kill, I took her right between the skull and the neck where they meet. This was my only possible shot as she was walking in a straight line towards me and looked like she wasn't going to ever give me a shot. From 22 feet up she didnt' stand much of a chance. She just dropped in her tracks, but when I went down to get her I looked at the arrow still stckin out of her and with a lot of work was able to pull it outa the bone, and realized there was absolutlely nothing left of the blades, the only thing left was the chisel tip. I coudldn't believe that for 11 dollars a piece they held up this terrible, or am I wrong in expecting more from these heads. Sorry about the post, I just needed to vent.

Kyle

Kanga 12-27-2003 09:56 PM

RE: Crimson Talon

I coudldn't believe that for 11 dollars a piece they held up this terrible, or am I wrong in expecting more from these heads. Sorry about the post, I just needed to vent.
I think we all expect more for our hard earned money.

But from what I have read specially 5shots review of the Crimson Talons they are just over priced junk and really should not be on the market.

Just think for the price of 3 of them you can get 6 Muzzies, 9 Gladiators and the list goes on.

5 shot 12-28-2003 08:19 AM

well That kind of shot would be hard on any broadhead, but I would bet that a Muzzy, stinger, thunderhead, Rocky ti, wasp, etc would have held up much better. The Crimson talons will probably kill game as well as most other heads in most situations, but they are not going to survive hard impacts and the blades are not very sharp to begin with.

coyote170 12-28-2003 06:34 PM

The boys on Gone Huntin,swear that they best ever
after watching him shoot that wild? bison his heart
shot was a little forward but he did with hie Crimson
Talon broadhead! I have a hunting buddy who will
make you a deal on eleven of them!:D

TeamHoyt19 12-28-2003 07:31 PM

I personally love the crimson talon broadheads. yeah the blades are easily bent but im willing to sacrafice that for broadheads that shoot the same as field pionts that arn't expandables. and u dont have to pay another $11 for them you can just replace the blades.

Kyle3 12-28-2003 08:10 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love the way the Crimson Talon's fly I just wish they would hold up tougher I guess. I switched from Rocket Sidewinders and they fly exactly like my field points. I was just dissapointed how they held up but some of you would be upset with my shot anyways. Lets just say that this doe looked quite funny with an pse carbon antler coming out the back of her head. It was a humane kill but I am sure I will get a ripping.

Cougar Mag 12-28-2003 08:22 PM

No rip from me, and this is not pointed at you, but I still am amused at hunters who swear fixed blades won't fly like field points.

Sitter 12-29-2003 10:26 AM

Not trying to stir the pot, but I aren't those broadheads illegal in PA?

GR8atta2d 12-29-2003 10:45 AM

originally they were, but the game comission made them legal after further review.

Kyle3 12-29-2003 05:31 PM

I read on the Crimson Talon website tonight, that the blades that they incorporate use flex technology so that they are designed to bend and be forgiving, as to help guarantee better pass throughs. I guess this might be a reason why the blades don't hold up as well, but man they really shoot.