Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 jumping the string what should i do? >

jumping the string what should i do?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

jumping the string what should i do?

Old 12-24-2003, 04:05 PM

Default RE: jumping the string what should i do?

I shot a doe at 17 yards on Saturday, had a complete pass thru and the deer didn't even move until the arrow clanked the ground behind her. The other two deer that were in and this one only moved about five yards and stood there. My bow is extremely quiet compared to many I have heard so I am going out on a limb here and saying the bow is probably making a lot of noise during the shot. Were the deer spooked at all when they came in? They will jump at every little crack if that is the case.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:27 PM

http://home.mn.rr.com/deerfever/Anatomy.html
aim for the heart! this is the best stopgap for the deer hearing the bowstring or being on alert when the shot is taken.if a deer is on alert ,it is hard to prevent jumping[ducking] the string.since the speed of sound is faster than the fastest bow, you can only get your bow as quiet as possible and anticipate the reaction.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

You didn't mention arrow weight/type or broadhead weight.

While 45 pounds is enough to kill a deer, your arrows may be way too heavy. You could shoot lighter and faster arrows and broadheads to overcome the slow arrow speed.

That in itself may become a problem with a reduced kinetic energy from shooting a light arrow from a 45 pound bow. It gets pretty techical.

If you are confident in what you shoot, just aim at the bottom of the body. If they duck, they duck right into a double lung shot. If not, the arrow is a clean miss.

I think you can live with either one.

Good luck!
Old 12-24-2003, 07:24 PM

Get a new Hoyt Bow. My new Razortec is extremely quiet and real fast!!
Old 12-24-2003, 10:17 PM

Rauch:
Have someone stand next to you while you shoot and have them listen for any noises that your bow may be making. You can probably reduce a lot of the noise by adding limb savers to the limbs. Also, tighten all of the screws and bolts on all of the accessories. Moleskin on the sight window will reduce the noise of a arrow falling off the rest at an inopportune time. Check your arrows in your quiver to make sure that they are secure and not fitting loosely. If you have an accessory on your bow that you can't quiet down sufficiently, buy a new one. It's not worth losing a buck over. This should help get you started.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:33 AM

I used to have the same sort of problem with my old bow(happend twice). Bought a new mathews legacy and i'll tell you what the deer cant move fast enough.Nothing gets outta the way of these arrows. If the deer jumping the string is something that seems to repeat itself then its either definently time for a change or the darn indian gets buck fever so bad he shakes like a dog 5h!+in razorblades. Its alot easier to group them arrows 3 inches when target shooting.
Old 12-25-2003, 11:39 AM

There's not a bow on the market that shoots fast enough to compensate for jumping the string. The only way to beat that is to quieten down the bow. I had the same problem when I was shooting a bow that had a draw weight adjustment range of 50-65 lbs. I was shooting it at 55 lbs and had several deer jump string on me. So I cranked up the poundage and solved the problem. Bows are quieter at the upper end of their weight range. Everything is just tighter.
Old 12-25-2003, 02:13 PM
Dominant Buck

There are other factors that are "shooter related" that seldom get blamed

Incorrect form from a tree stand can often lead to high shots.
I tend to agree with Rack. All to often it's form problems. That said, depends on the attitude of the deer a lot of the time. I have literally aimed at the belly line of deer before when they were wired, it was late in the season etc. I seldom aim dead center unless it's on a slam dunk 6 or 7 or less than 10 yard shot. I will say that as the distance increases beyond 30 and approaching 40 I tend to aim more dead center. A deer at 30 or 35 yards is less likely to react to the shot noise than one at 18.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:35 PM

I know the proper terminology but I was always kinda the contrarian. I'm also probably going to date myself. When I see a launch go high I always think of that stupid dance"THE LIMBO", I just feel like that trophy LIMBO'D my arse. When I see a missle go low I always feel like the big boy just jumped my arse. JMO. We contrarians are a different breed.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

IMO the 15 to 25 yard range is the most likely to have a deer duck out on you.

The further away - the less chance of a deer ducking the arrow because the sound of the bow is not as loud and at a further distance to the deer.

exactly Rack-attack. I tried tellin that to a guy on another forum, but he insisted I was wrong. I told him I shot my 8pt at 36yds, and the deer never even flinched till the arrow hit him. he still wadn't convinced.

Hunt The Beds, Hang the heads

Always keep your equipment in top shape..........
From your bow down to your boot laces

Report Abuse | Date 12/24/2003 10:06:58 AM

Quick Reply: jumping the string what should i do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.