Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WOW, is the Outdoor Channel owned byy...... >

WOW, is the Outdoor Channel owned byy......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WOW, is the Outdoor Channel owned byy......

Old 12-22-2003, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: WOW, is the Outdoor Channel owned byy......

Every show has to have sponsors unless the show producer wants to foot the whole bill. These guys go and shop for sponsors that will help put their show on the air. My guess is that a lot of these guys got Mathews to help them out. In exchange they need to push that product to other hunters. A lot of the time, when you get a company to sponsor you show, they will provide equipment to use on the show for nothing.....another way of advertisement.

It is a business world everywhere ....except in the woods around my parts.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mitch is right, the only source of income that the producers of these shows have is from their sponsors, in return, they advertise and plug their sponsors products. You shouldn't be whining about these ads and companies such as Mathews, you should be THANKING THEM! Without sponsors like Mathews, you wouldn't have these shows!

Mathews could also be a direct sponsor for TOC, and that is why you might see more advertisements than others. When buying air time, you are actually buying commercial time from the network. There are different packages that you can buy, and those packages are broken up by how many commercial minutes you are alloted in a half hour time period. It is cheaper to have fewer commercials, because that will give the rest of the commercial time to TOC to air their own commercials. This is why you might see a Ted Nugent or Roger Raglin promo in the middle of Secrets of the Hunt. If Mathews is a paying sponsor directly to TOC, then TOC will air their ads, even during shows that don't sponsor Mathews directly, because they are a channel subcriber, and not a show subscriber.

The air time and producing these shows aren't cheap, and if your only source of income is sponsors, it can be tough to find enough, or those couple of large sponsors, to afford your show and still pay the bills, let alone pay for all these hunts. With companies like Mathews that "spread the love" with sponsorship, I can only tip my hat to them.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:41 AM

The commericals and advertisements for products people actually use dont bother me, but when i start seeing the deer view mirror, $150 diet pills, fishing lures that look like disco balls, and gold prospecting christmas ornaments, now thats when i change the channel. You can tell from alot of the shows on the outdoor channel they are barely gettin by, and they need all the sponsors they can get. You dont see as much advertisement on primos, bill jordan, or buckmastes, because they dont need it. Bill Jordan could probably come onto the next show, give us the finger and then join peta but 95% of the people would still buy realtree camo.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

i watched a show about the outdoor channel and i do think it got its start by the G.P.A. (gold prospecters ass.) believe it or not they share many of the same issues as hunters and fisherman. getting access to land and keeping roads and government land open. i think its so cool that even though they run the channel its mostly hunting and fishing but maybe some day i will look for a little gold. looks like fun!!!!
Old 12-23-2003, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

Bill Jordan could probably come onto the next show, give us the finger and then join peta but 95% of the people would still buy realtree camo.
ROFLMAO
Old 12-23-2003, 08:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

For a second there Jason I thought you were going to say "Gold prospectors".......as it seems that they always have that on that channel when I try to check it out late at night or early in the morning. I remember reading somewhere that the owners are gold prospectors or something.

Who knows though...maybe ol' Matt Mcpherson got bored of building bows and guitars and is not prospectin' on his own as well....

That was for you VC....

Merry Christmas to all you folks.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Merry Christmas back at you PA Bowhuntr and same to all of the fine members of the boards.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:42 AM

think Charie P is right it is about advertising. When you think of bows most think Mathews right away. Like everything you got to go to the Pro Shop and look at em all.........
Old 12-24-2003, 07:01 AM

Mathews is the Microsoft of the Archery industry if they start producing arrows they would be in total control.