HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Two, three, or four blade (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/46823-two-three-four-blade.html)

bigbulls 12-19-2003 03:57 PM

Two, three, or four blade

Ok for all of you guys out there that have used two and multiple blade broadheads on elk and deer do you find that the two blade kills any better or worse than a multiple blade head? I know that two blades should get better penetration than multiple blade heads but I have always been leary about cutting a slice rather than a hole.

I am thinking about using the stingers on the next elk season. I know they are a super durable head so i am not worried about the quality, tuning, etc... of the head just about how well a two blade will kill an animal compared to a multiple blade head.

I am probably just being silly and paranoid huh?:eek:[:-]

I am also contemplating the slick tricks too.

ijimmy 12-19-2003 04:04 PM

RE: Two, three, or four blade

bigbulls , I think they come with bleader blades , efectivly makeing them a 4 blade . 3 seasons ago I used magnus 2 blade 100 grains exclusively . I harvested 2 deer , one wint 75 yards and fell dead with an ampel blood trail ,and the other went 10 yards and laid down and died . Both were perfect shots , and I was pleased with their preformance . They fly great allso , alot easyer to tune than the muzzy 100 3 blades I was use prior to that .

buckeye 12-19-2003 04:11 PM

I have no experience with a 2 blade but I do have some experience and success with the slick tricks. I shot a buck and doe with them this year. Passthrews on both with the arrow sticking in the ground a few inches. They both left good blood trails. Nothing spectacular but definitely sufficient. They do fly as advertised they were grouping about 1/2 inch high and left from my field tips groups. They will be my broadhead of choice next season as well.

buckeye 12-19-2003 04:18 PM

Here is a couple pics of them I had saved in my computer. Alot of people have never heard of them so I though I would post a pic of them. Sorry about the poor pic quality.

titleist_03 12-19-2003 04:25 PM

I've always used 3 blade muzzy's, but I've been reading alot of good things Magnus two blades. I'm thinking about using them. I would think that 2 bladers would be harder to tune becuase you couldn't line up the blades with the fletchings like you can with three blades. But 2 blades I would think could get superior penetration compared to three blades becuase there would be less resistance when entering the animal. Just my thoughts.

ijimmy 12-19-2003 04:37 PM

Titliest , thats what everyone told me allso , they will "windplane" . But I have found that to be opposite of the facts , the 2 things I think that make broad heads fly diferant are , blade surface , and their effect on foc , magnus have less area 2 blades insteed of three , and teir center of gravity is farther back than a muzzys with teir alluminum feril and steel tip , Slick tricks suport this therioy allso as they are very short and dont have much blade area . All I can say is try um they are cheap and work great , one other thing nuget blades and magnus are the same head .

titleist_03 12-19-2003 04:48 PM

What are the Magnus' made of? That makes sense with the weight beind further back on those blade. The muzzy's are focused in steel tip. There is much where it screws in. Thats amazing that little bit of weight can make them fly better. I think I just might try them next season. Also are you talkinb about the Magnust stingers or Magnus II?

Belle Island 12-19-2003 08:26 PM

I've killed three deer with the magnus 2 blade heads this year. The first was a doe, heart shot, she ran about 40yds. The second was also a doe, double lung, she ran about 25yds. The last was a 9 pt, double lung and he made it about 150yds, over half of which was down hill.

In all cases the blood trail was ok, but not great. All were pass throughs. I will definately use them again next year.

FFTJ 12-19-2003 08:32 PM

Whether or not you can line up the blades with the fletchings is irrelevant. It makes absolutely no difference. Two blades are asier to tune because they have less surface area for air to push on. I'd rather have a slice that went all he way through than a hole that stopped half-way. I shoot steel-force sabre-tooths and I think they're great. I've never shot magnuses but everyone I know who has loves them.

TJ

AK 12-19-2003 10:10 PM

Regardless of two or three blades, I MUCH prefer to use broadheads of a one-piece, resharpenable design. They are significantly stronger than replacement blade heads, meaning the blades stay put to cut and the broadhead maintains its structural integrity to allow optimum penetration.

My experience is that while three blade heads "generally" (said very loosely) give better blood trails, two blade heads penetrate better and still give adequate blood trails. Of course that shouldn't be any revalation. Here's a blood trail laid down by one of the does I took this year using a two-blade broadhead that I made from a circular saw blade (file sharpened). Quite adequate.