Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bear hunting

Old 02-01-2002, 03:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default bear hunting

I am going on my first bear hunt this spring. I have had a number of people tell me I need to take a gun for backup. The articles I have read on black bears over bait do not lead me to believe that this is necessary. Any thoughts? Also any suggestions would be appreciated as to gear, preperation, etc.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bear hunting

Kansas...Leave your gun at home.

I've hunted bear with a bow 3 times. (Once in spring and twice in fall) I've been successful all 3 times. Never was I or anybody with me in any danger.

I can give you some advice on hunting in the spring...BUG SUIT. The bugs will drive you insane. In the fall, we have never even had to use spray, but in the spring, the bugs'll tear ya up.

Bear hunting over bait is exciting. Just don't shoot the first bear you see. I did the second year I hunted, and my buddy killed a MONSTER over the same bait a night later.

I hunted near Timmins, Ontario.
Where ya goin?
Old 02-01-2002, 03:30 PM

some of that super strong pepper spray for bears is all you should need if you want something as a backup.

Good Luck!
Old 02-01-2002, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

We're going east of Flin Flon, Manitoba. The outfitter is suppose to be opening up a brand new area. It has me real excited about the potential of hunting a new undisturbed area plus being my first bear hunt I can't wait. I spent the afternoon at the pro shop punching paper.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah...Kansas...make sure to familiarize yourself with the bone structure of a bear's front shoulder. You sure don't want to hit it with an arrow!

Bear's are surprisingly easy to kill. By that, I mean the 10 or so that I've followed (shot by myself and others) didn't go far.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:53 PM

I would get in contact with the outfitter and ask him any questions you have before you get there.There may even be some things you should bring that he can
go over with you.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

Bare hunted once in Iowa and found it to cold.
Old 02-01-2002, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you're hanging out in a tree stand, there's no need for a gun. I've heard of people taking sticks up in the trees to whack at bears that are trying to climb up them, and that usually fends them off. Especially when they connect with a blow to the noggen.
I don't use backup on spot and stalk either, but that's a whole different story.

Good luck on your first bear hunt! I'll be out in May chasing the blackies in south east Alaska. Can't wait!
Old 02-01-2002, 05:08 PM

ABM

I'm envious of you. I'd like to get to SE AK for blackies one day. Hopefully everything works out for PWS this year though, if not I guess I'll be sitting in my tree over a bucket again this year.

Jim
Old 02-01-2002, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

Just make sure of your shot. My bear was shot at 13 yards while broadside. I had a string tracker on the arrow and the bear took off and made a "J" and died right behind the bait bucket. He traveled 19 paced yards and started his death moan 5 seconds after being hit. Death moan is very eeire. Didn't have any need for a gun. Also hunted Ontario in the fall so no need for a bug suit.

Quick Reply: bear hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.