Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 compound or traditional >

compound or traditional

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

compound or traditional

Old 12-14-2003, 11:07 AM

Default RE: compound or traditional

compound.

go deep hunt hard.

Old 12-14-2003, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Compound......but very intressed in the traditional hunt lately.....
Old 12-14-2003, 07:22 PM

Compound at this point.

Working at my trad skills right now. I'm intrigued by the ability to do things simpler, lighter and quicker. I shoot my compound every day at this point and I admit that it's getting a little boring. Maybe traditional archery will keep me entertained

Hunting is definately challenging either way. Unfortunately I can't hunt every day.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

I love and shoot both Compounds and Recurves.
Here is my favorite custom Recurve.

Sag.

Old 12-14-2003, 09:21 PM
AK

Traditional here. Selfbacked wooden bows mostly. Here's sinew backed osage osage bow that I finished tillering last night. The picture shows it being exercised to full draw.

Old 12-14-2003, 09:28 PM
AK

Same bow as I'm shooting it in. I made this one as a gift and tillered it to 28". My normal draw is only 25", so I had to stretch out just to shoot it from a 27" draw. Man, does that sinew put fire in a bow! All was well after 100 arrows, so I did some artwork on the limbs and have it drying with its first coat of epoxy finish right now.

Old 12-15-2003, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

I'm currently hunting with a homemade longbow. I like the fact that I made it and its light in hand. This is the first longbow I've shot and I'm really enjoying it. I have a homemade recurve as well that I used to hunt with.
I also have an Oregon compound that I use if I can't get my shooting up to par with the stick bows by the time season starts.
Happy hunting and shoot striaght
Dan
Old 12-15-2003, 07:11 AM

Compound now. But I have two ol' recurves to make hunts real interesting. I'm real proud of the ol' Fred Bear my dad gave me a few years ago. It dates to the mid 50's and my dad used it on his hunts for years. In fact it's the bow dad had in his lap when a big buck decided to rub the back side of the tree that dad had dozed off next to. We still howl about how he soaked his drawers when he awoke and peered around to see Mr. Buck about a foot from his face. That bow means an aweful lot to me personally.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love my longbows and recurves, but usually find myself using the compound for hunting. Just more accurate for me.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:21 AM

I have come full circle. Recurves for the first 11 years of deer hunting and 28 years with compounds. Now, as of this season, permanently back to the recurve. The simplicity vs. effectiveness of the recurve is too appealing to ignore any longer.

Although I have never had any problems tuning a compound and have never had any malfunctions, the tuning, maintenance, and pre-flight checks are tiring in comparison. Especially, when for the purpose of deer hunting, the supposed advantage of a compound over a recurve or longbow is more psychological than factual.

I believe that most people who have never hunted with recurves or longbows tend to believe that to hunt with a recurve or longbow is to use stone tools and wear a loincloth. I also believe that this mistaken belief is exacerbated by a misunderstanding of many of the terms used to indicate that the bow does not have wheels and cables.

For the purpose of deer hunting, after you weigh all the advantages and disadvantages of a compound against a recurve or longbow, and that of the recurve and longbow against the compound, in then end I believe the recurve and longbow would win out.

If your defensive reaction is to argue the advantages of a compound is holding weight, speed, energy imparted, distance, penetration, etc, be prepared for counter-arguments and examples given by recurve and longbow shooters that will nullify your mistaken beliefs.

When all is said and done, it has been my experience that the recurve and longbow in the hands of a practiced shooter is as efficient and as deadly as the compound bow, especially today with the advanced materials and designs used in the construction of many of the recurves and longbows.