HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   woohoo!!![:D] (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/45978-woohoo-d.html)

bigbulls 12-11-2003 10:32 PM

woohoo!!![:D]

After years of expressing to my wife that she should get into archery she told me tonight that she wants me to buy her a bow and arrow.:D:D I thought she was kidding but she told me that she really wanted to learn to shoot a bow and possible go elk hunting with me in a year or two.

Now, I need reccomendations on bows for women. I, of course, will take her to a pro shop to try out as many as needed and to be fitted like I wish I had done when I started. I am just looking for opinions from the guys that have wives that have gone through this and from the gals themselves that shoot. The first one won't be too expensive so we can make sure that this is going to be a permanent thing.

I was kind of thinking about the Browning micro adrenaline, Alpine micro, or maybe the Parker challenger if it ain't too costly.

tabby 12-11-2003 10:54 PM

RE: woohoo!!![:D]

That is great news, but I would personaly buy more that one arrow;)

royak 12-12-2003 05:35 AM

Man thats great news I know my use to hunt with me she is too ill now to hunt. I bought my grandson a Martin it goes from 35 to 50 with about a 4 in draw range it is a great bow I dont remember now but I think it was 2 something I know you will get attacked by all the Hoyt and Mathews shooters and personally I shoot a Darton and love it but for the money and the amount of range in weight and draw the Martan was best buy.

jimpok61 12-12-2003 05:35 AM

:eek: bigbulls:wish I had a suggestion but my bride has not come to that point yet in her life. Someday, when the Gulf of Mexico freezes over and she puts down the rosary beads and announces that I'm ready to learn bow hunting, I'll experience the ol' Fred Sanford,"this is the big one", roll over and die with a big ol':):) on my mug. You lucky [:@]. How did you do it? Any catch, other foot ready to drop? WOOHOO!!!

PABowhntr 12-12-2003 05:59 AM

That definitely is good news. My wife shot 3D with me for a few seasons back before we were married. We had a great time....but once that ring went on the finger then the bow was put up for auction.:(

At the time I had bought for her a Hoyt Havoc with Intruder limbs and command cams. My reasoning was that the bow was relatively lightweight to make it easy for her to carry and hold while shooting though not light enough to make it unstable and difficult to shoot. I went with a mid axle to axle length of 36 inches for the same reason. I also chose a bow with a generous brace height since it was going to be a totally new experience for her and I needed something with as much forgiveness as I could muster without sacrificing some of the other qualities I was looking for. Lastly, I chose the soft cams/energy wheels simply because they provided a smooth draw cycle and relatively respectable speed considering the rest of her setup.

Had I to do it again I would probably save some of the money I spent on the bow (at the time it was around $390) and would go with something like the PSE Nova with Vector or Synergy wheels at the appropriate draw length and in the appropriate draw weight range.

Hope this helps.

jsasker 12-12-2003 06:19 AM

Congrats!Maybe take a look at GOLDEN EAGLE--They do have some lighter and very forgiving bows without the huge price tag.just a thought.

Dacotah 12-12-2003 06:29 AM

It's gonna be tougher than he11 trying to shoot a robinhood with one arrow. :)

Congrats, I wish my wife would. I think.

adams 12-12-2003 11:27 AM

Congrats! You must be psyched. Me fiance asked one day while I was shooting If she could give it a try. I said sure and handed her my bow. I showed her how the release worked and never gave any thought to the fact she's never pulled a bow and I was shooting 60lbs. Needles to say that was very short lived.[&:]

ATrueHoyt 12-12-2003 01:01 PM

Hey Bigbulls!

When my wife decided to give it a try we went to the shop and she shot a few. She found that the Bowtech Ladyhawk was her choice. Very light weight and short but good speed. Good luck to you and her!

bigbulls 12-12-2003 10:36 PM

Thanks guys.

I took he out today and found a 2003 Martin jaguar dual cam in 40 - 55 lbs for only $179, which she liked, but I think it only goes down to a 25 inch draw length. A little too long by about 1 1/2 inches. Oh well I'll keep looking.