Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tips for Snow/Bow Hunting....

Old 12-11-2003, 02:24 PM

Default Tips for Snow/Bow Hunting....

The weatherman says that my slice of central OK is in for some snow this weekend. This will be my first time to bow hunt in the white stuff, so I'm looking for tips, ideas, or advice from those of you who get to snow hunt all the time...Snow comes in Friday night/Sat. morning. I'm ditching work on Fri. morning to get extra time in the field.

Further weather details....temps in the low to mid 30's, East wind 10 to 20, anywhere from 3 to 6 inches being forecast now.

Deer details...rifle season ended last weekend, there was a lot of rifle hunting going on in all directions of my lease...many shots fired. There are wheat fields surrounding my lease...so I've got food sources nearby.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:28 PM

Default RE: Tips for Snow/Bow Hunting....

If you've got some thich cover on your lease I'd be near that before the snow is scheduled to stop. The deer should be bedded durring most of the storm and be on the move as the storm passes. I'd try to set up between thick bedding areas and food.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:27 PM

Stay at home[8D]
Old 12-12-2003, 07:55 AM

I agree with what Adams suggested. They love to ride out storms but as they taper off have youself winded properly, snow camo suit and plenty of under layers in your own bedding area. Blend in, enjoy the majesty, pray and keep the faith.
Old 12-12-2003, 09:54 AM
Dominant Buck

OK, here's the deal. In an area like yours where you don't get snow... the first snow of the year will put them on their bellies as soon as it starts. They'll ride it out and won't move much. SO.... be in your stand a few hours before the storm hits and immediately after it quits. They'll whack the heck out of bushes, honeysuckle etc. They'll visit the edges of fields where the sun keeps the snow down. They'll go to picked corn in a heart beat as well as places like alfalfa where they know they can nuzzle a good meal anywhere they stick their nose under the snow. They'll find open areas like around water etc. YOU WILL NOT shoot one if you aren't out there.....guarantee.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:09 PM

If you need some "whites" pronto and you don't have any. Head down to your local paint store and buy a Tyvek painter's suit. They are a little noisy, but they will help hide you if you're on the ground.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

After tonight I'd say stay close to closed cover or creek bed's.We had 4 inches today and the wind's were gusting from the south and deer movement was almost non existent,but I did have a buck move into my blind at a creekbed but I wasn't there.When I came back from looking for sign a buck was standing 15yrds in front of my blind .Even though the weather is bad stay put and don't move around the deer will move in closed cover even when it's dirty out .
P.S. I have watched deer out in the field in a major snow storm while hunting so because weather is bad don't stay at home .You don't get chances sitting in front of the fireplace, and you just never know what will happen when the weather doesn't co-operate.Go out regardless it could be your lucky day .
please let me know how you make out.

[email protected]