HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Are the Arctic Shield Boot Covers......... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/45528-arctic-shield-boot-covers.html)

BowhuntingMachine 12-07-2003 11:36 AM

Are the Arctic Shield Boot Covers.........

Are the Arctic Shield Boot Covers hard to put on when you are up in your treestand??

Will they still keep your feet warm even if you have mud on your boots?

Will they still keep your feet warm even if your feet are wet?

Tell me anything you think I need to know about them.....Thanks

liquidorange 12-07-2003 12:22 PM

RE: Are the Arctic Shield Boot Covers.........

i bought a pair of insulated boot covers a couple years back and never used them. they seemed like a good idea at the time but in winter conditions the gear just starts adding up and i end up saying to myself do i need this. bringing layers of clothing, a gun, backpack filled with water bottles and lunch a climbing stand scent bombs and drag rags and the list goes on and on. i decided to go with the socks and the foam insoles that allow you to put those chemical heat packs in. i got them from wall mart and k-mart. the new heat packs last 10+ hours and are worth it! if its real cold i would just bring a light weight sleeping bag. i also believe in wearing only light cloths for the walk out to the stand . YOU WILL SWEAT NO MATTER HOW COLD IT IS WHEN YOU START HIKING IN WITH ALOT OF GEAR. its hard to convince yourself to pack in your clothing but i find its like heaven when you put on your dry gear at your stand. you almost feel invinceable to the elements:)

VAhuntr 12-07-2003 05:02 PM

I bought a set last year off of ebay and used them for the first time last week. My feet did not get cold at all. The temp was only down to about 24 though. Can't speak for wet or muddy conditions as the day I tried them on it was cold and dry. I put them on in the treestand without much problem. I am pretty impressed with them. I would suggest buying them off ebay....I got mine for 19 bucks shipped....less than half of what Bass Pro wants for them.

10pointer 12-07-2003 06:00 PM

I bought a pair of artic shield boot covers after i ruined my ice breaker boot blankets. th first time i took them out my feet froze. I took them back and bought another pair of ice breaker boot blankets. 4 years and my feet have not ever been cold.

BowhuntingMachine 12-08-2003 04:49 AM

ORIGINAL: 10pointer

I bought a pair of artic shield boot covers after i ruined my ice breaker boot blankets. th first time i took them out my feet froze. I took them back and bought another pair of ice breaker boot blankets. 4 years and my feet have not ever been cold.

What did you do to mess up your first pair?

Antler Eater 12-08-2003 07:36 AM

I have used mine for a few years now. They make a big difference I can tell you that. I have to say though I haven't used them with a lot of mud on my boots.

nbadger23 12-08-2003 08:34 AM

I tried them for the first time in late November during Gun season and I thought they worked great. On the previous day the temp had been 28 degrees or so and I had used chemical toe warmers and had done ok. On this day, the temp was around 10 and I used just the boot covers with no toe warmers (same boots) and I was fine. I was using my Dad's boot covers - but I liked them enough to ask for some for Christmas. I think they are less of a hassle than the toe warmers and I like to wear light weight boots. Another thing I found was that they were a bit quieter on my stand than my boots due to the lack of grooves on the bottom.

John Deer 12-08-2003 10:50 AM

The Arctic Shield boot insulators work great in my opinion. I can't say how they would work if your feet are wet. I think the key is to put them on before your feet get cold. Arctic Shield works with what they call RE-tain technology. Check out www.arcticshield.com. Also I've seen how they demonstrate their boot covers. They pack your foot with the boot cover in a bucket full of dry ice for several minutes to prove that the boot insulators will retain and conserve heat loss.