HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Do whisker biscuts ice up (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/45291-do-whisker-biscuts-ice-up.html)

MThunter 12-04-2003 11:09 PM

Do whisker biscuts ice up

thinking about getting a whisker biscut rest for my bow but since i hunt in a lot of cold weather i'm wondering if they ever ice up. If water did collect in the whiskers and froze, is is still shootable? I have zero experience with them so i was wondering if anyone could tell me about how they perform in cold weather

AKDoug 12-05-2003 12:00 AM

RE: Do whisker biscuts ice up

I hunted caribou for three days this year. Two of the days were consistant freezing rain and 31*F temps. Everything was iced up...BUT THE WHISKER BISQUIT... My wheels actually made popping noises as I drew when the ice chunks flew off. I had to constantly take my fingers and rub the ice off the strings and cables. My release jaws froze. My arrows were coated in ice. Limbs and riser were coated in ice. The outer diameter of the WB was iced. However, when I shoved my finger through the middle of it there was little to no ice. I admit to coating it with silicone about a week before going on this trip, but that's the only thing I'd done to it.

I practice with this rest in all sorts of foul weather. I shoot no matter the weather...rain, freezing rain, snow and BITTER cold. I shot it the other day at -35F.

I've lived in Alaska for 30 years. I know all about what happens to moving objects in the cold. I break crap every day here because of the cold. The number one things that turn me off of spring loaded prong rests, and drop aways are the moving parts and the little tiny springs that are not protected from moisture inside the rest. I personally have less confidence that one of these rests will perform to my satisfaction when rain freezes inside them.

The answer is simple. If your WB ever does develope ice it will be the same time the rest of your bow does. While removing the ice off the rest of your bow, poke a finger through the WB and hunt on.

PABowhntr 12-05-2003 05:08 AM

I have never heard of anyone complaining about this issue. In some ways it might actually be superior in cold, icy weather since there are not any mechanical parts.

Legacy Hunter 12-05-2003 06:27 AM

I have hunted with the Whisker Biscuit for 3 years now and have never had a problem with it. In 22 years of bowhunting it is by far the most reliable rest I have ever used.

jroot 12-05-2003 08:15 AM

the WB rocks!!!!

SCbowhntr 12-05-2003 08:21 AM

Hey y'all,
Have hunted w the WB for 3 yrs never had a problem...agree 100% w Legacy Hunter

Len in Maryland 12-05-2003 05:24 PM

If there is NO possibility of a problem, then why does CAP sell "No Snow - Biscuit & Feather Water Repellent"???? It's their P/N NS-01.

Rickmur 12-05-2003 05:26 PM

To make a $ ;).

Arrroman 12-05-2003 11:49 PM

NO-Snow was developed primarily to keep feathers dry when it rains. The bristle of the biscuit stay flexible well below zero degrees. If you, you bow and arrow, the whisker biscuit and your release were all covered with ice the whisker biscuit would probably still function normally but I'd still recomend breaking off any ice as it forms. Its comforting to know that at least one piece of equiptment is going to work perfect for you. Good luck hunting!

Clint. 12-06-2003 06:27 AM

For those of you who use the whisker biscuit...I am thinking of getting one.....

Do you have the biscuit that is completely enclosed or do you prefer the biscuit with an opening?

Clint