Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How imortant is a cover scent? >

How imortant is a cover scent?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How imortant is a cover scent?

Old 12-04-2003, 10:26 AM

Default How imortant is a cover scent?

Hunting with different people i am trying to pick up a little more knowledge every time. One person that I hunt with never uses cover scent and the other always usses it. How important is it? What is the best? I asume when hunting on the ground it is more important and somewhat less important when up in a stand.. Any imput?

Thanks,

Tim
Old 12-04-2003, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How imortant is a cover scent?

I only use cover scent when I can not take a shower before a hunt!

Wash your butt to kill a buck
Old 12-04-2003, 10:45 AM

I don't think it is important at all - Probably hurts more than it helps. Can't fool a mature deer's nose.

Stay as clean as possible, and play the wind.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never use it as stated hunt with the wind in your favor you cannot fool an old deer
Old 12-04-2003, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

The idea is to be sent free , not to smell like something thats not supose to be there .
Old 12-04-2003, 05:44 PM

i use it everytime i go hunting. normally i shower and then use it too but sometimes i can't. i hunt the wind sometimes but other times it doesn't even matter. The huge 9 point i shot this year came from downwind of me, no scents or anything. I have a scentlok suit and rubber boots and then i cover myself with it. i also use white acorn scent wafers on my scent lok hood and leave 2 of those wafers in the closest i store my suit. If its hot out, i won't wear my camo till i get about 100 yards from my stand and then dress in the woods and spray down and head to the stand. Some people won't agree to this saying its too much and some might say its too little. One thing, this year was the first year that i was not busted by a deers nose so that means something to me.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:52 PM

Scent free is the wat to go.! I will use a little doe in heat urine on a drag during the rut but I don't want to be smelling like some cover up. If you stop for gas on the way to the woods and wear the same boots in the woods..all your de-scenting is for naught. A nice mix of gas or sweat and the most enticing apple scent in the world will not fool a buck.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:48 PM

I wash my clothes in scent away about every 2-3 weeks. I wash myself in scent away before hunts. I spray my clothes down when i get out of my truck when i get to the land. I spray some tinks on my boots...a little secret i've leared which works great...when i get into my stand i'll spray my bow and what else down with scent away. I hunt in an area that the winds change very often. I've been downwind to deer many times and still been able to call them in withen 15 yards. I've had a doe as close at 3 yards away from me this year. Scent cover is the only way to go if bowhunting.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not saying that NOT using cover scent doesn't work, I'm just curious as to how you all think that a mature buck developes a dis-taste or warning or whatever for "cover up" smells? Excluding the obvious reason of not using apple scent in a corn field and silly stuff like that.
I use "fresh earth" and have had deer that I could spit on they were so close. I have not had any "mature bucks" that close but I also don't believe there are many in my area (right in the middle of a spread out neighborhood on 7 acres). I mean do you think older bucks have smelt the scent and then had someone miss them and that's how they know to stay away??
Old 12-05-2003, 05:42 PM

I mean do you think older bucks have smelt the scent and then had someone miss them and that's how they know to stay away??
That could be possible, or they smelt the scent as it lingered with human scent, but not the biggest reason. Its simple - I don't believe its possible to "cover up a scent". The human scent is still there, a deers noise is very sensitive to that scent, a few wafers, or coon piss IMO will not cover it up. Put a bottle of perfume on a stinky fish - and it smells like a stinky fish with perfume.

I do not use coverscents - and I have also had many deer feet from my tree. In fact the closer they come the less they seem to wind you - if you are in a tree. The danger zone IMO is that 25 to 50 yds or more down wind. It seems thats the range your scent settles to deer nose height the most.

And as far as having deer downwind and not getting busted - I have only one answer to this, and I don't care what you are using as cover or how much carbon you have wrapped around you.

Even though the wind was "blowing" towards the deer - your scent stream never made it to there nose. Even in a steady breeze, wind does crazy things in the woods - it swirls, dips, edies, rises, turns - etc.etc. I have had it happen too many times without the "products" to believe they really make any difference.

Can't fool a mature deers nose - I gave up trying years ago

Quick Reply: How imortant is a cover scent?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.