Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Late bow season/tips >

Late bow season/tips

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late bow season/tips

Old 12-03-2003, 10:15 AM

Default Late bow season/tips

I am preparing for our NY late bow season. Need help! I hunt a small area where it is strictly bow only. Lately I have noticed little movement. I ground hunt ever since some fellon decided my ladder stand looked good to him/her? The hundred acre area I hunt is a wooded area with 2 known doe bedding areas, 3 N. to S. ridges and to the N. and E. is boarded by heavily reeded swamp lands with a large creek running N. to S. through the swamp lands. I'm pretty sure the big boys are bedded in this area. My problem is that the prevailing winds in this area are usually from the W. S. W. or N.W. which means that I am afraid I am being scented from the most Eastern ridge that overlooks this prime bedding area. I have tried all recommended scent shields etc. but I just Cannot seem to draw those bucks my way. I have tried grunting, doe in heat can, Tinks 69 gel and rattling. Help me if you have any thoughts. Thanks much, jimpok61 & son Joe.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Late bow season/tips

I'm preparing for late bow too. I wish I could shed some light on this for you, but I think aliens have abducted all whitetails in NY. Myself, I'm going deep and thick and still hunting a lot. I haven't seen life form in the last 10 days of gun. Boy what happened to the population here? Probably the least amount of deer I've seen in 15 years (by 50% too!!). Go for some tinks to catch one of those bad boys in the 2nd rut!!
Old 12-03-2003, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

If bucks are not actively pursuing does, they are most likely spending their time going from beds to food and vice versa. If you think you know where they are bedding, try to figure out the food sources that would be drawing them. Scout in between the beds and food to find a place to set up, as close to the bedding area as you safely feel you can.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:45 AM

Thanks NY Bowhunter. It just seems like they disappeared overnite. This pre-season I was seeing 20 mule team groups from my stolen ladder stand. My wife told me last nite she thinks they are hibernating. I informed her that whitetails do not hibernate. She's very religious and prays daily for the season to end. Talk about a tough life! Pray for me fellow hunters.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you are hunting a urban area they are in the people back yards.lol. I took a drive around right before dark last week and saw almost 50 deer.

Jimpo, My buddy makes wooden portables that are cheap and comfortable I might be able to get a picture or plan for them.If your good with your hands it would take about an hour to throw one together.

Hunting them from the ground is tough. My back is bad so I didn't get to hunt until first weekof Nov. most of it from the ground. I wish NY would give us a longer late season. 5 days at the end of gun just don't do it.

Have you walked the creek to find out where they are crossing? Do you have snow ground in your part of NY? If you do take a walk around the thickets and find out where they are traveling. With the lack of acorns this year finding an apple tree still holding or a good green field could be a key.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

She's very religious and prays daily for the season to end.
Jim, did you see this thread?-

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=446851

Print out this article and share it with your wife. Explain to her that you are doing God's work...

Honestly, killing animals is often misunderstood by a person with religious background who assume not killing is a commandment, so it must be bad. This is a fantastic article to share with such people.

The PETA and Animal Rights groups are plain nuts, and a lost cause. We need to sway the "undecideds" in order to secure our hunting heritage and rights for prosperity...
Old 12-05-2003, 06:03 AM

[8D] Thanks for the input CharlieP. I cannot remember what thread I was on but I do have plans for the portable tree seats. I will have a few ready for next season!