Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why I hate West Virginia >

Why I hate West Virginia

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why I hate West Virginia

Old 12-05-2003, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Why I hate West Virginia

here it is

Old 12-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-05-2003, 02:12 PM

I think alot of people agree wiht you we have to many idiots roaming the woods here. On one of the public hunting areas in the county i live they placed a 14inch minimum on the bucks there and i guess they have been shooting some dandies. On the farm i hunt we try and just shoot older deer but there are still a couple that dont and it really aggrevates me and our DNR doesn't seem to have much interest in the management of our herds. Deer hunting could be a huge tourism boost if we used it wisely. Ohio i think does a fine job i cant say for kentucky because ive never hunted there.
But we always seem to shoot a couple nices ones here every year. I took a 21inch 9 point the second deer of bow season that will score around 140.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:42 PM

I think before we can pass judgement on other hunter's we must first look all the factors involved here. I am fortunate to work 2 jobs during the summer so that I can take off about 6 weeks straight to bow hunt. However most hunters that I know do not have that luxury. They can only hunt on Saturdays and normally take a few days vacation to rifle hunt opening week. So most of them probably spend 7-8 days afield each year if that. I put in more hours in a treestand in one week (80) than they do all season. So I can afford to pass up a small buck where as if they do they probably will not get another shot at a buck. So most of these hunters take advantage of any deer they see. At first I was like why didn't you let that buck go?? That was until the hunting season of 2000 were my company was bought out on November 1st. So instead of starting my 6 weeks vacation I got a check in the mail where they paid me for my vacation time. So I was forced to hunt on the weekends like everyone else. And believe me deer that I would not have even picked the bow up on the year before had me tied into a pretzle trying to get a shot at that year. Just look at this way, If you only had 8 days to hunt the entire season and really wanted to kill a buck how selective could you be and still kill a buck?? Some of us are true trophy hunters while others simply want to take the first legal deer they seem. Does this make them a bad hunter for this? In my book it does not.

Now the part that bothers me in West Virignia is hearing the stories of hunters takes 4-5 bucks a season, checking none of them in and all of them being scrubs. [:@] Now that is what is ruining our deer herd. If these hutners would just start shooting does instead of bucks we would be in business.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me assure you this is not just a problem in WV. Here in Maryland, on the property that I hunt, we have guys who will shoot anything with horns, no matter how small, and let all the does walk. They also overshoot their limit or buy a license for their wife and kids who don't hunt.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:32 AM

I think our limit on bucks needs reduced some, right now you can take two with a bow two with a rifle and one with a muzzeloader. I think it should be reduced to at least 3 or something, I woudl like to see something like pennsylvania has.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll tell ya why I now hate West Virginia..........I just saw that movie "Wrong Turn"[]

I hope none of you hunts near Bear Run Rd. They have a different sort of hunting season down there.

Wasn't the "Deliverance" filmed in West Virginia?
Old 12-07-2003, 03:48 PM

I hate PA because of........

THE STEELERS hahahahhahaah

http://experts.wirefire.com/DNR/cgi-...r=1&start=here

I dont know if anybody goes here or not but there is a post on this subject right now. It's suggested that you attend a regional meeting and bring this topic up.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Makes me proud to be from ILLINOIS!!!!
Old 12-08-2003, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jim Bell,
This deer is a mature 9 pointer around 3 -4 years old. Maybe the pic is bad.

Quick Reply: Why I hate West Virginia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.