Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The *most* important hunting I have ever found! >

The *most* important hunting I have ever found!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The *most* important hunting I have ever found!

Old 12-01-2003, 09:58 AM

Default The *most* important hunting I have ever found!

Game cameras.

As some of you know I have been getting frustrated hunting areas that appear to be good. I recently picked up a stealth cam and set is up in one are I thought looked good. 1 DEER in TWO weeks!

I then moved to a bedding area slash trail on a different piece of property. 2 DEER in TWO WEEKS!

I then bumped it to a area with lots of travel routes in a swampy area and 22 photos in 24 hours!

The amount of time this wonderful device has saved me is huge. These things are worth their weight in gold IMO.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:42 AM

Default RE: The *most* important hunting I have ever found!

Seems as though it has really helped. I don' t have one and I am not ready to spend the money yet. They still seem kind of like a toy to me. I might consider getting one next fall. Though, I am buying a bow this spring and would like to get a laser range finder in the fall so I might not get a trail cam.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:37 AM

GeoffM24

know what you mean, i moved a stand and put a camera under it, 12 nice pictures of does, by the way if you use wallmart 1 hour photo you can opt to accept the pictures or not.. if you are only looking for a rack tell them no thank you.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:01 PM

CVS one hour photo is the same way.

If you sit down and figure out how much money you get paid per hour at work and then figure out the time you wasted in the wrong spot a game cam is cheap!!

Don't get me wrong I love being in the woods but sitting for days in the "wrong" stand is like hell on earth for me.

Game cams are incredible. Now I'm going to keep a log of where deer were moving and when as well as what time of year.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:10 PM

Geoff: I haven't bought a cam yet, but I am logging when/where I see deer. Along with the obvious (time, place) I also started tracking moon phase, temperature/weather, and date (not just time). I have heard of some software you can buy to plug in your data along with maps and it will give some pretty cool results.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

I had one and never got to be efficient with it because it was stolen. But I'll give an FYI to everyone who get's to this post and reads this far. This was the best idea I've ever heard about game cam protection!

Take the first shot on your game cam, before you set it out, of a piece of paper that says in big, readable letters: If this film is being developed by any other person other than INSERT YOUR NAME HERE then please call INSERT YOUR PHONE NUMBER HERE.

it may not prevent theft but it's helped the person who thought of it recover 2 cameras.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Awesome Idea thanks for sharing bscofield.