Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need info on the Scott Mongoose >

Need info on the Scott Mongoose

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need info on the Scott Mongoose

Old 02-05-2002, 12:02 PM

Default Need info on the Scott Mongoose

Ive been thinking about buying a new release. The scott is my top choice and if i buy one at all, this will be the one. But, do they cause a lot of serving wear? I wouldnt think tehy would but i just wanted some opinions from people who allready shoot one, thanks.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:25 PM
Spike

Default RE: Need info on the Scott Mongoose

I use the Mongoose but shoot hunting only with a small amount of target practice so I don't have alot to offer on serving wear. However it has a nice design with only one hook jaw to minimize serving stress and it is very reliable and the the trigger pressure as well as the jaw length is adjustable.
Old 02-05-2002, 12:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I used to shoot the original Scott Calipers but changed to the Lil Goose when I went to the string loop. You use a loop and you won't have any problems. The Lil Goose has a smaller jaw which helps in loading on the small loops with my carbons. All Scotts are great. Just buy the one that fits your purposes. When you get it check for any burrs and polish them out. It'll help save the servings or loop.
Old 02-05-2002, 01:07 PM

I have been shooting the lil goose for about 2 years and shoot quite a bit. I have had to change the strings because of wear before the serving wore out. Great release
Old 02-05-2002, 04:55 PM

I've been shootong a Mongoose for a year now 4-5 days a week with very little to no serving wear.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:35 PM

thanks guys, i jsut ordered one. It should be here in about 5 days. Hope the weather clears up though so it wont be so cold when i try it out. The info is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-05-2002, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been shooting the mongoose for several years. It is by far the best release for me. serving wear is not realy a problem, I did however switch to a string loop this year. works great with the loop also.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 02-05-2002, 08:08 PM

When I first made the switch [from an old Mongoose] to a new Mongoose I had troubles immediately. The release was nearly identical... except the new Mongoose had a buckle... not velcro.

Anywhooo... I began going through servings like they were going out of style. I mean... every few weeks/months.

I found that I was slightly torquing the draw... just enough so that the sides of single caliper would touch the string.

The sides of that caliper were so darn sharp that I could easily shave my fingernails when dragged across the edges.

It only took a small dremel buffer and the problem was completely eliminated in about 5 minutes. Just enough buffing to take the edge off is all that was needed.

Now... I only change servings when I choose to... not because they are being damaged from the jaw of the Mongoose.

Scott Mongoose... definitely at/near the top of my list of releases.

-DT

Edited by - PA DropTine on 02/06/2002 13:18:34
Old 02-06-2002, 04:06 PM
Spike

Have a couple buddies that use the Mongoose. They love em. I have the Lil Goose and wouldn't trade it for the world.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:24 PM

I have used the Scott Mongoose now for three years and had no problems with it. I do use a string loop and have never experienced any damage to it.