Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Attacked by buck....what do you do? >

Attacked by buck....what do you do?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Attacked by buck....what do you do?

Old 12-01-2003, 02:34 PM

Default RE: Attacked by buck....what do you do?

Shoot!!! As a last resort if you can' t climb a close tree you could wrestle with the animal but I think your best chance is shooting or tree climbing.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would shoot him. To be more explicit I would FUBAR him! I mean that is what you' re there for.
Yeah it was my intent to shoot him, but I didn' t see shooting him between the eyes as a good shot. That' s all I had to look at.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah it was my intent to shoot him, but I didn' t see shooting him between the eyes as a good shot. That' s all I had to look at.
Well in restrospect which do you think would look better, a shot between the eyes or a tine up the ***. If a deer was trying to attack me shot placement goes out the window. I am going to put the first one where ever I can get it, to disuade him and then I will worry about where I hit him.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:31 PM

Man that makes me think, I might be carrying a Machety and some pepper spray, but I like the running away bit, maybe just do that!
Old 12-01-2003, 08:56 PM

like someone said it is something that we really dont think about.. from what I' ve heard that many females have been attacked during their menstrual period because it has the same " fleshy" smell that a doe has when in estrous
Old 12-01-2003, 10:50 PM

Funny this should be brought up now but my hunting bud called tonight and told me he shot a 8 pt this weekend in self defense. He was hunting with his brother in law and heard him shot so he headed in his directon to see if he needed any help, stopped and rested his rifle against a tree while he took off his coat. Looked up and there was a buck pawing the ground and even stood up on his hind legs pawing the air. Come to find out it was the same buck his in law had shot at earlier found a flesh wound on his back. Guess it most had ticked him off.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:24 AM

A year or two ago, I had a doe charge me, but that was my fault, I tried to use a fawn-distress call, I ran[:' (] . I can imagine a buck is a bit more scary(though, has anyone looked at a does front hoofs, pointy, eeek). I dont know what I' d do if I had a rut-nut buck on my heels.....I think my 6 inch fixed blade Buck Knife would see some action. I' m not as brave as Rack.

Pick A Spot
Matt Whitehair
Old 12-02-2003, 07:23 AM

I was walking along side of a woodline a couple years ago towards my stand and as soon as I stepped foot into the woods, there stands an 8 point, looking right at me. He was maybe 10 foot away. Well, you would think that I would freak, and I probably should have, but I just slowly and calmly nocked an arrow and as I started to draw on him...he decided he had enough of me and took off in the other direction. I think if he had charged I would have had time to shoot. Nowadays I always nock an arrow before I step into the woods. Yes its a pain in the butt sometimes and if I am in tight brush I will carry the arrow in my other hand, but I feel safer with a loaded weapon.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rack you are killin' me[&:][&:]
Old 12-02-2003, 01:42 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Attacked by buck....what do you do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.