HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Flo. pink paint as yardage markers to hunt with??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/44630-flo-pink-paint-yardage-markers-hunt.html)

bubba74701 11-28-2003 06:18 PM

Flo. pink paint as yardage markers to hunt with???

I went to the woods today and headed down a cut road and got about 100 yards in and found the funniest or at least the weirdest thing I ever saw[:o].Someone had cut into a evergreen tree and put up a stand, what so funny is that they had taken Florescent pink paint and pored on the ground for yardage markers and then went as far as marking 10,20,30 at intervals leading both ways from his stand down this cut road.
This had to have been done today because it wasn' t there yesterday and the paint smell was awfull.
I walk this trail everyday to go to my stand and this is public hunting area. I would just go another trail around but now my curiosity is up and I would just like to see who did this and give a good laugh:D.
Just wondering if anyone else uses the same statigy and Im missing out on a new fad is is this guy just nuts.If so I may use florescent green just to be different Ha Ha :)

davidmil 11-28-2003 06:27 PM

RE: Flo. pink paint as yardage markers to hunt with???

Years ago in Georgia I painted some wood dowels with high visibility blaze orange. I did it to mark off some yardages for a stand overlooking a peanut field the deer were really whacking. It worked so well I put some the next year on a soybean field stand. However, I painted the dowels in the summer and left them out doors in the rain and everything for months. I went so far as to put 4 rows out in a fan around me out to 60 yards(1 row left and right with the other rows at 45 degree angles. That was in my young and foolish years but it yielded me a nice buck with a 45 yard shot. This was before rangefinders.

YOU KNOW.... you could really have some fun with some paint around this guys stand.[:o][:-];) All you have to do is decide if you want him to shoot low or high. P.S. Take in a little shovel to cover his existing paint.[>:]

bubba74701 11-28-2003 06:30 PM

Yeah if I could find some matching colors.And he painted more than dowels he pored enough paint to make a 12 inch circle at each mark.[:o]

davidmil 11-28-2003 06:51 PM

Well, you know it' s either someone who works for the road painting company or he' s a painter.:D

BrianDamage 11-29-2003 11:20 AM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

YOU KNOW.... you could really have some fun with some paint around this guys stand.[:o][:-];) All you have to do is decide if you want him to shoot low or high. P.S. Take in a little shovel to cover his existing paint.[>:]

that' d be funny, until you consider it might actually cause a deer to be wounded by a misplaced shot

actually I have thought about doing something similar myself...not by painting the ground, but by painting a stripe or dot on trees at the right yardages. dude should have done it a while back though to let the paint smell die down.