Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Buying an ATV next summer, need input. >

Buying an ATV next summer, need input.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buying an ATV next summer, need input.

Old 11-27-2003, 09:36 PM

Default Buying an ATV next summer, need input.

I am thinking of getting a Suzuki Eiger 400 auto. I have used the Honda Rancher, Yamaha Big Bear, there are some things I like and hate about both of those. The Suzuki scored the best on ATVTV on the Outdoor channel, just wondered what you guys use and what you like.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:53 PM

Default RE: Buying an ATV next summer, need input.

I use the Suzuki Vinson 500 4x4 auto and love it. I am like u i have used many other atv' s and the suzuki ranks at the top. This is the third one i have owned. The thing i love about it is that everything is just right there...no goofy ways of having to put it in reverse or nething.
Good Luck
Old 11-28-2003, 06:28 AM

Polaris 700...It is a beast!!
Old 11-28-2003, 06:46 AM

Yamaha Grizzly 660. IMAO it is the all around performance ATV. If you get one put the biggest mudtires you can get on it. If it is automatic, install the monster tire clutch kit and then mod the muffler and rejet the carb(big performance), and yes by all means get a winch. They are great for skinning and field dressing deer!!!
Old 11-28-2003, 07:20 AM

tnichols,

Two years ago I was bringing out a cow elk on a friends Grizzly 660. He has it all tricked out, lift kit, big tires, etc, etc. I had half of the elk on the front, half on the back. Where we were hunting in Colorado, the terrain is pretty rough. Well the damn thing rolled on me with the elk on it!!! Fortunaltly I was able to jump free of the thing before it rolled over the top of me. So I cannot endorse modifying an ATV like that. That Grizz was way to tall to be traversing that area!
Old 11-28-2003, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m kinda four wheeler geek if there is such a thing. I bought my first 4x4 bike 4 years ago. It was a Honda and though it was a nice bike, had no horsepower and the suspension was just useless in my opinion. I then bought a Grizzly and it was not a good bike. I sold it and bought a Polaris and never looked back. Its a Sportsman 500 and I couldn' t ask for an easier, more comfortable riding four wheeler. Plenty of power, especially bottom end gut for steep terrain. Plus, it being a bigger, heavier bike gives it a little more traction in my opinion. I have climbed into places that the other two could not. I' m not saying that it was the brightest thing to do with it because one I got up there, I didn' t want to come back down over with it, but I proved to myself it was a better all around bike, especially for hunting.

Plus, all kinds of neat accesories for it. Push bars front and back make it look pretty tough.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:40 AM

MA

I never said anything about a lift kit, I just said larger tires. I would' nt put a lift kit on a grizz, why would you? If your in that kind of area then I don' t recommend a ATV, you may want to get a John Deer Gator, something that hugs the ground. I have 27X10X12 on the front and 27X12X12 on the back. I maybe get about 1 to 2 inches of height off the tires but I have a much wider and stabler wheelbase compared to stock. As for Muzzyman, I owned a Polaris Sportsman 500, compared to the Grizzly 660, the sportman is a dog. In my opinion a Polaris especially the 500 and 700 are worthless unless you put the heelclicker kit on the clutch. Polaris also needs to look at putting diff lock on these bikes. A couple of Polaris shops down here have closed because according to them because Polaris does' nt pay them on time for warranty work, one shop told me 120 days before the got paid by polaris. As far as tricking the bike out I don' t do it. Larger tires rob all bikes of power. To get the bike back to stock power you will have to install a clutch kit and rejet the carb and mod the pipe. If your not up to it leave the stock tires on but make sure you buy a winch or ride with someone who does, your going to need it!
Old 11-28-2003, 12:33 PM

MA

Just curious how much does a 1/2 a elk weigh?
Old 11-28-2003, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

YFM660R Raptor

Old 11-28-2003, 02:13 PM

tnichols,

My buddy that has the Grizz, He is into all the toys and he just HAD to lift the damn thing. I was not attaking you buddy, really. The area where the atv tipped on me is a very steep sidehill. (we have since carved a new route) Half of an elk weighs any where from 175 to 300 per half. This was not a huge elk so I am guessing 150 for the front quarters and 200 for the rear. IMO the atv was not overloaded. It was just very top heavy to begin with.

Quick Reply: Buying an ATV next summer, need input.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.