Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What weather scares you while hunting? >

What weather scares you while hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What weather scares you while hunting?

Old 11-26-2003, 06:32 AM

Default What weather scares you while hunting?

Greeting fellow hunters,

Another question for my book project, what kind weather makes you think about going into the woods? I have hunted in blizzards and heavy snow, I have been turned around in heavy snow, and almost hit by lightening, tell me what scares you, and why?

Dr. Mike
[email protected]
Old 11-26-2003, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What weather scares you while hunting?

Very high winds scares me most. Since I hunt out of a treestand, it really affects me. I once made a stupid decision to hunt in winds that were gusting to 65 mph one year when I was younger. Well needless to say I had the scare of my life that afternoon. It was getting progressivly windier as the day wore on and there were many limbs busting and falling around me. Yeah, I was nervous, but I stayed anyway. Well, about 2:30 a band of rain blew in and the wind was blowing very hard steadily. Then, I heard this very loud crack and a limb from the beside broke, hit the tree I was, bounced off my shoulder and the side my treestand and crashed to the ground. I emptied my drawers, climbed down and tried to go home. But, the road on our property that went down over the side of the mountain had a couple very large trees across it. I had to walk home that day. The wind was strong enough that it was blowing me sideways at times and it scared the crap out of me. Since then, I wont go out when its blowing much over 20 mph. Safety first
Old 11-26-2003, 06:43 AM
New Sheriff

yup, strong winds
Old 11-26-2003, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Same here. There is nothing as scary for me as high wind speeds when you are 20-25 feet up a tree and you weigh in excess of 230 lbs..... Snow does not bother me nor does lightning provided I am not up in a treestand or holding my weapon....
Old 11-26-2003, 06:45 AM
Dominant Buck

It' s the STORM brewing at home that I' m most afraid of....... along with lightning.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:56 AM

It' s the STORM brewing at home that I' m most afraid of.......
Ain' t that the truth.....................Its been a hurricane at home for a few weeks now

Strong winds will almost always keep me home
Old 11-26-2003, 07:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I see a funnel cloud approaching then I' ll get scared, other than that.........hunt on. Extreme wind though my arse will be parked on the ground someplace.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:20 AM

Blizzards. I' ve hunted them, and it can be no fun...even very dangerous. A friend and I were gun hunting when in high school in a huge slough with cattails on the prairie of coarse. We shot a deer at dusk at the south end and cleaned it in the dark as it started snowing. The wind came up, there was a lot of snow already on the ground, and we were probably three miles from where we had left on the north end. Soon we had to decide how to get out as we could see no farmlights, visibility was only a few feet now snowing like crazy, it was dark and we had no flashlight. We were thinking we might have to take shelter in the cattails when one of us remembered we crossed a fence not too far back that ran east-west. We knew there was a road on the west side so we followed the fence line out pulling the deer. Just as we got to the road we came across a farmstead which was inhabited. They gave us coffee and I called by Dad to come and get us. If it hadn' t been for the fence line, I know we would have lost our sense of direction had we tried to get out, so we probably would have spent the night in a snow cave in the cattails. It was also a good thing we stumbled across that farmstead. Out here, it' s blizzards.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:51 AM

I generally will hunt through anything except an imminent tornado. I will probably add lightning to the list as my bro-in-law was in a tree just a few yards from a tree that was struck by lightning. I wasn' t too far away, and it scared the crap out of me.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Strong winds and close lightning.

Quick Reply: What weather scares you while hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.